NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
Silkies take FOREVER to guess on gender, at least mine did. I rehomed them at four months old and I still didn't know what gender they were. The people I sold them to, who supposedly raised silkies, insisted that all of them were hens, but I was positive at least two, if not more, were roos and told em that. Wonder what happened.
tongue.png

Oh wonderful. So have to keep these stupid chickens until they lay eggs or crow? And how am I gonna know which one laid an egg? They will probably just do it on the floor, cuz they aren't smart enough to get in a nest box. *note to self* Put that extra nest box you were gonna return to TSC on the floor for the silkies to lay in.
barnie.gif

I had Silkies, they lay eggs? I though they were lawn ornaments, like those plastic flamingos, only fluffier.
tongue.png

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
Good one! I am still waiting for my brilliant silkies to go back into their coop. Its 830 and almost dark! You would think they would be hungry and thirsty since thats where their food and water is. Might have to shove dd2 into the run to wrangle them up. I promise, cass, that I will not let the boys go until i know they are boys!!! Mumbles is a boy for sure. Hotter than hades here right now. Must be cool in the cellar cause the baby silkies are partying. Will have to check for booze and illegal substances before I go to bed. Hope you all get cooled off.

Quote:
Three of mine were still outside at 9 pm. A spritz with the hose drove 2 of them in. The third one? Well, that one made me really regret not making my run high enough to walk in. She/he is finally in the coop, but dripping wet, cuz the water didn't drive it inside. Stupid stupid birds. I am starting to HOPE they are all roos and will be rehomed at the end of the summer.

Quote:
Oh wonderful. So have to keep these stupid chickens until they lay eggs or crow? And how am I gonna know which one laid an egg? They will probably just do it on the floor, cuz they aren't smart enough to get in a nest box. *note to self* Put that extra nest box you were gonna return to TSC on the floor for the silkies to lay in.
barnie.gif

I had Silkies, they lay eggs? I though they were lawn ornaments, like those plastic flamingos, only fluffier.
tongue.png

I don't *know* they lay eggs. I got mine to brood eggs, cuz I hear they are good at just sitting there. Hey, maybe they ARE lawn ornaments.

I do know that they aren't smart enough to find a nest box that isn't on the floor...so I am glad I have an extra I can place there for their stupid selves.

I don't get how silkies are hard to sex mine were easy and their only a month old I'm glad mine put themselfs in At night saves me from puting them away.
smile.png

Quote:
tongue.png

I don't *know* they lay eggs. I got mine to brood eggs, cuz I hear they are good at just sitting there. Hey, maybe they ARE lawn ornaments.

I do know that they aren't smart enough to find a nest box that isn't on the floor...so I am glad I have an extra I can place there for their stupid selves.

My goes to the nest box...she is so sweet! As for sexing them...my pullet crowed the other day! She/he is almost a year old! So nope I can't sex them easily...that is great for you Pandapaws23!

Quote:
Any tips on sexing them. Mine are 7 weeks and I can't tell if they are chickens, much less their gender. I have 5. 2 are HUGE and 3 are regular sized, compared to same age non-silkie "chicks".
All have combs, a mix of "regular" and pea combs. All have similar tails, if you can call that poof at the end of their body a tail. 2 chest bump each other all the time, they are the regular sized ones. The biggest one acts like a roo...wait, it attacks everything, starts the fights, not end them. The largest one is also one of the 2 that puts itself away. None of them have any extra long feathers in their crest. Maybe they are all hens? I really would like to know their gender, cuz I don't plan to breed them , so the roos have to go, even if it is all 5 of them.

I think I'm going to be able to go to the show this Sunday. I've never been to a poultry show, although I always walked through the poultry barn at the State Fair as a kid. Pretty sure that does not count
lol.png
I'm really looking forward to it, and hope I get to meet some of you.
love.gif

The chickies are doing well, they have a very large fan moving the air above them, and seem comfortable. Eating like horses
big_smile.png

Some day my coop will be finished, sigh.. It is, without a doubt, built better than any new house out there.. it's built better than our house (aside from the addition built by DH), because DH didn't build the house. Oh, and the run.. also built better than a house. Really. I am being patient.
hu.gif

After the miserable winter and spring, I am NOT going to complain, this is NOT a complaint, but, it is freaking hot out there!

Quote:
sounds wonderful!!!! hope to see you there!!

Are you showing that blue Silkie boy?
big_smile.png

Sammy & I are going to groom the smooth feathered birds tomorrow & the Silkies on Saturday. I do hate blowdrying chickens!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom