NY chicken lover!!!!

rnee where you been? wanted to ask you what color your project barred ameraucanas were as day olds? i hatched 1 egg from those wheaton hens. they laid an egg the day i brought them home so i stuck it in the incubator just for fun. what roo did you have them with? was it just your white one?

Quote:
I'm tellin' ya, silkies are dumber than dumb. I swear mine would not go in the coop at night if the "big girls" didn't lead them in. And the are in a RUN, not out free ranging. I don't dare let them free range, they would probably drown in the pond. Maybe I should insist ray stop calling them "dumb ducks" just in case that is the only thing they are actually listening to him. (they sure don't listen to me)

Quote:
Yeah, just the white one. The chicks are anywhere from white to peachy cream with a headspot or stripe. If you get a barred one i'll flip! LOL They all seem to have lacing rather than barring.

Quote:
I'm tellin' ya, silkies are dumber than dumb. I swear mine would not go in the coop at night if the "big girls" didn't lead them in. And the are in a RUN, not out free ranging. I don't dare let them free range, they would probably drown in the pond. Maybe I should insist ray stop calling them "dumb ducks" just in case that is the only thing they are actually listening to him. (they sure don't listen to me)

They're not dumb.... they're training you! They do like the rain because they can see better. I actually have some that stick their heads in water if I have a shallow pail in the run just so they can see. They will go into the coop better with a light on. Just tell them,"Go into the light."
wink.png
Our silkies are always the last two coops to go in on their own. I think they like the cool night air. Or maybe they're planning a party. Or world domination.
tongue.png

Quote:
Probably! Let's see how many girls I get out of this next hatch. If I am lucky, I am sure I can spare a girlie for you.
smile.png

That'd be great....how far are you from me?

Quote:
Probably! Let's see how many girls I get out of this next hatch. If I am lucky, I am sure I can spare a girlie for you.
smile.png

That'd be great....how far are you from me?

Google says about an hour, so not bad at all.
smile.png
we could meet halfway. Eggs are two weeks away from hatching - keep your fingers crossed for girlies!

Cass and Tygr--I dont have a light in my coop but there are two large windows that let in lots of light as well as the door being open to the screen door. Its pretty light in there. I think they are just being stubborn. They are in their run and I have to force them to the ramp. They finally give up and go in.

Question--are the tiny red wattles on one of my blue ones an indicator of a roo?? Mumbles crows and acts all roostery but has no wattles. Do black silkies get wattles? I"m so confused. Do partridge get wattles?

Quote:
Silkies often have no wattles at all or very small ones. None of mine had any sort of wattles and I am positive several were boys. I've seen pics on here with male silkies with huge combs and wattles and others that just look like poofballs. I think if one is crowing it's pretty sure it's a roo,especially if young. That 'hen crowing' thing happens less often than everyone thinks, generally older chickens that no longer have a roo and step in to fill their shoes. I hate trying to guess the gender on silkies! I posted mine up and got 'all hens', 'all roos', 'no clue, wait until one crows or lays an egg'.
smile.png

Thanks Featherz. I am pretty much going with the crowing thing. I just happen to notice the red wattles because they were soaked from the storm and I could actually see the red on this one. Havent heard anyone but Mumbles crow and he does it infrequently. The babies in the brooder are too young yet to know. I am so hoping the porcelain is a pullet.

Well I traded/sold a splash to Trylin and if turns out to be a pullet I'll be real upset cuz she said it's roo and I have a blue. Tgrlily - I don't trust silkies and they are in fact planning world domination. Oh and how did you do at the show. I told Trylin I hoped you did well. I didn't go I wasn't feeling so good. Gave blood on Sat. and did that double red thing. I won't do that again. They should have an age limit. Old people shouldn't do it.

Now does anyone know of an auction this weekend? I'm going to TX next week and I want to unload some so DW doesn't have to take care of more than she has too. DD had a boy this morning. Henry Michael Palmer W. This will be my fifth GC. Second GS.

I've put 5 gal buckets with nipples in the runs and extra feeders. 5gal. 's are great since they can hold a couple of days worth of water on a not so hot day. Plus you can dump some ice in there to keep it cool.

Rancher

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom