NY chicken lover!!!!

I have coop drama now! My broodies have decided their chicks are old enough and the chicks aren't having that.. so I walk in to shut up the coop and there is one set of chicks screaming because they are trying to get on the high roost with mommy (I put them up there and cheated) and the smaller ones are screaming for their mommy who refuses to get off the roost. yipes! I have to rehome some of these chicks soon.
tongue.png

Quote:
Good luck with that. I had to give chicks away. Not that I mind since most were EE's and Friz crosses. Still I've got two who want to brood and I'll be darned if I'll let them unless I can find home when they hatch. That and I' have nothing I want to hatch out that I'd give away.

Tgrylily, I just went out to close things up and do a walk about and I saw Peter Rabbit out there.
ya.gif
From what I was told that's a good thing. I don't care if he gets in my garden. I did see a baby bunny in my chicken yard earlier this year but she's got that darn cat nextdoor and I don't like it. There are enough moles for the cats to eat.

Night, night

Rancher

Quote:
I plan on giving them away, just gotta find a placement.
smile.png
A sister of a coworker is distraught after losing her pet chickens to a predator of some sort so I am hoping she's up for some babies.
smile.png

Quote:
If my broody doesn't hatch anything I'll take a couple. Of chicks that is. Maybe I should buy a couple now so I have them here. Yikes, I don't want any more unknown gender chicks, but I DO want this D'uccle to start laying again and I don't know if she will if she doesn't have any babies to raise. She was my best layer and now all the others are on strike in sympathy for her broodinest. I had to BUY eggs this past week. (of course I gave away my last 8 to the neighbor girls cuz they had cousins coming to visit and wanted to make them itty bitty fried eggs. LOL)

What kind of chicks are they?

Quote:
If my broody doesn't hatch anything I'll take a couple. Of chicks that is. Maybe I should buy a couple now so I have them here. Yikes, I don't want any more unknown gender chicks, but I DO want this D'uccle to start laying again and I don't know if she will if she doesn't have any babies to raise. She was my best layer and now all the others are on strike in sympathy for her broodinest. I had to BUY eggs this past week. (of course I gave away my last 8 to the neighbor girls cuz they had cousins coming to visit and wanted to make them itty bitty fried eggs. LOL)

Those that are part of the drama are too old for broodies (4 weeks/5 weeks) but I do have two chicks just hatched on saturday if you need something now. They are mutts - brahma/cochin and I think SLW/cochin.

Brahma/Cochin sounds like a beautiful mix. I love the feather-footed birds.

After much harassment and a couple of rain delays, DH is FINALLY putting the finishing touches on the coop and run so that the biggest kids can get booted out of the garage by the end of the week. Not that I mind them there, but they're looking sort of pitiful and a bit crowded now even in their big-dog pen, as they're getting really big. I keep saying, "Look at those beady little chicken eyes - they're saying, 'Daddy, PLEEEEAAAAASSSEEE finish our home!'", which is undoubtedly driving him nuts, but hey, whatever works! The roost cracks me up It's made of 2x6s and plywood, is about six feet wide, has four levels, and is so overbuilt that we can sit on it, and neither of us is a delicate little flower (far from it - think Shrek and Ogre Fiona, and you have us). My current total (well, pending total) is only 25 chickens. I asked if he thought I was planning on keeping ostriches in there.
big_smile.png

Quote:
That fox comes near my flock, I'll shoot it myself!

Toying with the idea of getting some nice Dels to breed myself. Or maybe some bantam Brown Leghorns.

Quote:

Those that are part of the drama are too old for broodies (4 weeks/5 weeks) but I do have two chicks just hatched on saturday if you need something now. They are mutts - brahma/cochin and I think SLW/cochin.

Get this. It is Day 11 on the eggs under my hen and the eggs are just about full of chick. The black spot is almost filling the shell. I think these eggs came from another broody hen, which is possible since the gal I got them from had a broody sitting on a clutch when she gave them to me. Maybe she candled them and knew they were growing. They may hatch by this weekend. Just what I need. 4 more chicks. Of course just because they are growing and doesn't mean they will hatch, just means there is a greater possiblity than if it were just a fertile egg.

I don't want ANY chicks. But I do want this broody to stop being a momma and start laying eggs. They only way I know to have that happen is to allow her to raise some babies.

On another note, does anyone else pet their chickens til they go to sleep (and not return to roosting over the nest box and pooping it it all night) ?

I think a broody D'uccle would be adorable. Have had two broodies this year - it was a lot of fun, but I think I prefer the incubator.. The outside chicks are so skittish! But it's nice not having a dusty house, that's for sure.

Here are the mutt chicks hatched on saturday..I don't have a roo right now, so no more fertile eggs for me until one of the babies gets bigger..
smile.png

I *think* brahma/cochin.. my only white chickens are the brahmas, although I do have a BLRW it could also be..
51848_chick11.jpg

Only black chicken that wasn't broody and was laying so this is most likely SLW/Cochin:
51848_chick13.jpg

Last edited:
My blue black splash orpingtons roos started climbing on the silkie chicks and crowing at like 11 wks is that normal?

I now have 3 roosters (1 lav splash, 2 blue black splash orpingtons) I am trying to get rid of if you know anyone let me know. I bought the eggs from a farm in Canastota thats NPIP cert. If I don't sell I will probably have to eat them for soup but I really don't want to as they are super nice right now.

Back
Top Bottom