NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
Woot! New eggs are great. I am getting tiny little new eggs every day now, which is great since my bigger birds are slowing down. My leghorns keep popping out those jumbo whites but everyone else is sluggish.l 19 eggs today, 10 from my new layers.
smile.png

Great that the young ones are laying. What's your secret? Some of my original flock, purchased at 7 weeks in MAY still aren't laying.

I am seriously considering getting 4 production RIR or something like that so I have the joy of an egg every day. I am going through a bag of feed A WEEK and only about a dozen eggs a week. That's one darn expensive dozen eggs.

I havehad to buy eggsfor 3 weeks...and that is with about 40 adult hens that should be laying....maybe its the NY water? LOL
I even switched feed to 21 % egg layer and still nothing....

On a fun note, next week I'm going to Crossroads in Indiana....I am bringing a few chicks to sell, and coming back with a few Coronation Susses pullets, and maybe a silkie or 2....
Don't evny me because I'm going.....
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Woot! New eggs are great. I am getting tiny little new eggs every day now, which is great since my bigger birds are slowing down. My leghorns keep popping out those jumbo whites but everyone else is sluggish.l 19 eggs today, 10 from my new layers.
smile.png

Featherz,
I am thinking of getting some trader joe's or whole foods fertilized egg and try to hatched them. Do you like the white leghorn? I am contemplating this because as I understand it, they are the best for laying. Are you lighting and or heating them?
Ginny

Last edited:
Quote:
I *love* my leghorns. Others do not like them, but my leghorns are my only chickens that will let me pick them up and carry them around. I spoiled them rotten, that's probably why. My three girls lay a huge white egg every single day without fail. If I don't see three white eggs I go look in the bushes. Plus they hardly eat anything and they are so tiny for the eggs they lay.

I used light last year but I am going to give them a break this year since I have a huge pullet coop to take up the slack. I don't heat any of my birds. Only problems with my leghorns are the gigantic combs - I didn't know much when I got them and didn't realize they weren't the best for winter. Oddly enough, they got very little frostbite last year and what they got healed up well. They didn't even seem to notice how cold it got last winter!

Quote:
My new young ones, most of which have been laying for a month or so, were born April 1. Some of the others in the hatch were dispersed to another byc'er and are apparently not laying yet. Maybe it's the feed? I feed everyone flock raiser, which is higher protein than the usual layer feed - all my coops have mixed ages all the way down to babies so I haven't fed layer much at all this year. I feed oyster shell on the side instead. The eggs are from different people + some of my own mutt mixes.

Quote:
I *love* my leghorns. Others do not like them, but my leghorns are my only chickens that will let me pick them up and carry them around. I spoiled them rotten, that's probably why. My three girls lay a huge white egg every single day without fail. If I don't see three white eggs I go look in the bushes. Plus they hardly eat anything and they are so tiny for the eggs they lay.

I used light last year but I am going to give them a break this year since I have a huge pullet coop to take up the slack. I don't heat any of my birds. Only problems with my leghorns are the gigantic combs - I didn't know much when I got them and didn't realize they weren't the best for winter. Oddly enough, they got very little frostbite last year and what they got healed up well. They didn't even seem to notice how cold it got last winter!

One of my original chickens was silver leghorn.(18 months old) She is the only one still giving me an egg almost daily. No lights. Well everybody else is molting. Where did you get your leghorns?

Quote:
We went. My children loved seeing a lot of new breeds we have never seen in person before. Small show but nice!! I can't wait to go to another.

me too i'm sad i missed the spring one i think i'm going to be showing one of my runner ducks next year

Quote:
Great that the young ones are laying. What's your secret? Some of my original flock, purchased at 7 weeks in MAY still aren't laying.

I am seriously considering getting 4 production RIR or something like that so I have the joy of an egg every day. I am going through a bag of feed A WEEK and only about a dozen eggs a week. That's one darn expensive dozen eggs.

I havehad to buy eggsfor 3 weeks...and that is with about 40 adult hens that should be laying....maybe its the NY water? LOL
I even switched feed to 21 % egg layer and still nothing....

On a fun note, next week I'm going to Crossroads in Indiana....I am bringing a few chicks to sell, and coming back with a few Coronation Susses pullets, and maybe a silkie or 2....
Don't evny me because I'm going.....
tongue2.gif

Well, I think you are one lucky lady! Enjoy! I wish we hadn't missed Syracuse...I didn't realize it was the weekend it was!! I see there was a lot of folks I would have loved to meet! Congrats to the winners!... Good luck Sue at crossroads!

Back
Top Bottom