NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
I sure do have the acreage. I really liked the pics of your hoop coop. It was clean, neat, light and airy. Looks like a healthy way to keep birds.

It is airy and I designed it with a door on each end for easy cleaning and rotation of runs. I expect to put one on each end. I hope to build more for breeding pens. They are easy to build for me being disabled. No heavy lumber to lug. I just screw everything together. The hardware cloth and chicken wire are all zipped tied to the framing.

I had read somewhere that the zip ties will degrade in the sun. I stapled mine.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif
I went to Caz!

Quote:
Oh, I am sorry about your chick and having to get rid of a Roo. What kind is he and have you tried CL?

He's an OE or a Maran. He was supposed to be a "she".
lau.gif
That's what the breeder said "he" was. Won't buy sexed chicks from that one again.

I tried CL a while ago, but not on this roo. Maybe I can get pics this weekend and post him.

OK. chickens still not eating raw pumpkin. I picked it up, rinsed it off, and put it in the oven. Last year I cooked it for them. It looks like thats what I will be doing again! Spoiled things!!

Quote:
It is airy and I designed it with a door on each end for easy cleaning and rotation of runs. I expect to put one on each end. I hope to build more for breeding pens. They are easy to build for me being disabled. No heavy lumber to lug. I just screw everything together. The hardware cloth and chicken wire are all zipped tied to the framing.

I don't expect that to happen to the ones under the tarp. I hope to replace the tarp with something more substantial. I buy things a little at a time and this way I'm not spending a lot at once. Though I do save the wire from bales of straw and use it to tie things like my rustic fencing. I also save the wire from rolls of chicken wire or hardware cloth. However zip ties are cheap and easy for my hands. They also some in different thickness. I used them to tie on the tarps this winter. Not sure how long it takes for them to degrade.

Not to mention I'm in NY we don't get much sun.
lol.png
Still whatever works I guess.

i use zip ties alot too like crazy i found the black ones can last 2-4 years the clear ones 1-3 and colored ones 1-2. i try to stay to the black ones now from tsc i was buying cheap ones from the dollar store and they werent lasting. i do use the colored ones for leg band though they work good for that.

So I wanted to share some pics of my flock.

Here they are checking out the new redneck nest boxes. My husband will build cool new ones, but they are laying eggs and he hasn't gotten to the project yet. They seem to like it tho.
big_smile.png

Golden laced Wyandotte and Austrolorp teaming up.

Finally fed them the last pumpkin. Doris is moulting so she won't let me take any pictures of her.

Quote:

I don't expect that to happen to the ones under the tarp. I hope to replace the tarp with something more substantial. I buy things a little at a time and this way I'm not spending a lot at once. Though I do save the wire from bales of straw and use it to tie things like my rustic fencing. I also save the wire from rolls of chicken wire or hardware cloth. However zip ties are cheap and easy for my hands. They also some in different thickness. I used them to tie on the tarps this winter. Not sure how long it takes for them to degrade.

Not to mention I'm in NY we don't get much sun.
lol.png
Still whatever works I guess.

I agree..whatever works! I actually only stapled the wire and plastic around the bottom. I used ,older,previously used electric aluminum electric wire to attach the 2"X4" horse fencing to the rebar. I cut the wire and used them like twist ties, The wire came off when I replaced fencing around one pasture. It was still to good to throw out.

Back
Top Bottom