NY chicken lover!!!!

Quote:
Very glad you were not injured. That can sure shake you up.

With all of the talk about Silkies, I have to ask, has anyone had two Silkies "share" a nestbox? I had one who was sitting on some eggs. Now, she is up to nine eggs and the last two nights, we have two girls sitting in the box together. Are they trying to "share the load" of nine eggs?

Quote:
Very glad you were not injured. That can sure shake you up.

With all of the talk about Silkies, I have to ask, has anyone had two Silkies "share" a nestbox? I had one who was sitting on some eggs. Now, she is up to nine eggs and the last two nights, we have two girls sitting in the box together. Are they trying to "share the load" of nine eggs?

I haven't had 2 silkies share a box but I have had 2 hens (andalusion and bantam cochin) share a box. We moved nest and hens to a dog crate. They both still sat after the move and hatched the eggs. The 2 hens seemed to share mother duties well.

Quote:
do you still do it in the winter too wheres it at i forgot?

As far as I'm concerned it's not worth driving to Kings to see birds. The last time I got squat. I'll never go there again. I never buy at auctions as the risk of getting sick birds is to great. Better to ask here if your looking for something special.

Rancher

it's looking like I'm going to have my 15th broody Sumatra of the year. A 7 month old who has been laying 6 eggs a week for about 2 months. Unfortunately, her nest is in my workshop
roll.png
. I'll still let her have at it
lol.png

it's looking like I'm going to have my 15th broody Sumatra of the year. A 7 month old who has been laying 6 eggs a week for about 2 months. Unfortunately, her nest is in my workshop
roll.png
. I'll still let her have at it
lol.png

sorry for the double post. My puter hiccuped

Last edited:
Quote:

As far as I'm concerned it's not worth driving to Kings to see birds. The last time I got squat. I'll never go there again. I never buy at auctions as the risk of getting sick birds is to great. Better to ask here if your looking for something special.

Rancher

Good to know about kings its a long drive for me if I were going I would be selling not buying. on another note my flock is doing alot better after I wormed them with safeguard think they had gapeworm, no one is gasping anymore and them seem back to normal. Just came in from finishing up the gambel quails new home the were shipped out today can't wait for them to get here!!

Well I got word the chicks are on their way. I hope they all make it alive and well. I've set up the brooder in the office with paper towel floor. I like to monitor the eating and drinking and pooping for a few days.

For the amount I got a Kings I would have just given them away rather than making the trip. Just not worth getting the chickens ready, saving boxes, getting up early and the drive. I didn't make the drive but it's just not worth it. Sometimes you gotta figure what you need to just break even. You won't do it there. They have a 30% charge.

Last edited:
Quote:

Rancher

That's what I figured at this time of year especially...no money in roosters....so I cut my losses and gave them away. I still have 3 Ameraucana roos, so I will have chicks if I want chicks. Well, assuming I have birds go broody in the middle of the winter.

Back
Top Bottom