NY chicken lover!!!!

Wow, Thanks So much guys! I can't believe the feedback I've gotten so far, it has been so helpful. I will hopefully be going to AJ Farms Domani Ranch within the week! I'm waiting to hear back from them and will keep you updated. Thanks So So much!

You have mini-donkeys and Pygmys! Love them. DH teases me by telling me when there are mini donks for sale on craigslist. We have 2 pygmy mix does and a nigi doe now. Goats are great fun. They will follow me or our kids all over the yard. Donkeys are so neat, would love to have one but no nothing about their care. Good luck with your chickens!

5 eggs a day. Spring can't be far away, right?

My silkie hatched on chick. It seems to be a bantam, which is fine....however it is showing signs of BLUE feathers. Now I don't know much about genetics, but I am totally stumped on having BLUE show up with the flock I have. Black and Lav roos and assorted hens...NONE of them blue, but a couple are black. I can't wait until it molts in the fall to see what color it is gonna be.

well I don't know on your flock. but with sumatra's, 2 blacks can mate, and about 75% will be black, the other 25% blue

Haven't been on in awhile. Hope everyone is well!
My chicken allergy is getting progessively worse to the point that I now need an inhaler if I do the waterers. :( SO----- We have to get rid of all the chickens. We'll be selling the entire flock as breeding groups, pairs or trios. I only keep the best quality birds, since I used to show. Thought I'd give you all a heads up first before posting them elsewhere.
Breeds:
Lavender & Split Orpingtons - carry the mottled gene - I've worked so hard on this project
sad.png

White Ameraucanas - pips & peeps line - 2 trios
Isabel (Lavender/wheaten) Project Ameraucanas Lav gene from pips & peeps + wheaten gene from marquisella
Dominiques - nyreds line - gorgeous
1 pair of White Dorkings
trio of Red Dorkings + a dom/dorking hen
BBS Silkies - SQ inc a hattrick cockerel who carries paint
White silkies - many SQ - inc 1 Paint hattrick cockerel

Also 3 pairs of peafowl.

PM or email me if you're interested.

well I don't know on your flock. but with sumatra's, 2 blacks can mate, and about 75% will be black, the other 25% blue

well that answers that. I'm thrilled to have a blue hen, just didn't know how I got one. Thanks.

PS how is the incubation going? Or do I mean "coming"?

Tgrlily--so very sorry to hear that you must give up your cheeps. I know it must have been a hard decision but when it is affecting your health, then you have to do what you have to do. I am very sure you will find good homes for all of them.

Welcome Nova! We here encourage large coops because while we were "only going to have just a few chickens", somehow we always end up with more! Its an addiction that nobody on here is willing to break. Remember, it always starts with "We'll just get a couple more." Chicken math.

Hope everyone is well. Those Columbians hatch yet Rancher? I would love to see what the chicks look like.

This dampness is killing my joints. Time for some advil and bed. Night all.

Hello,
I am a soon to be chicken owner (hopefully) about 5 miles east of Rochester, NY. I am looking for any input or information on breeds and coops from people around my area. I have looked at Many hatcheries and narrowed it down to Meyer in OH. I found a local hatchery in Macedon, but the timing for the breeds I am interested in won't work.
I plan to construct a chicken tractor for 8 or so pullets/ hens. We have 70 acres, but a Lot of predators, so I am not comfortable with free range (yet). We have registered pygmy goats and miniature donkeys and barn cats.
I am looking for good layers with the possibility of meat. Not crazy broody, cold hardy and docile/ friendly are pluses. I have narrowed it down to Americaunas/ Easter Eggers, Black Australorps, Speckled Sussex and Barred Plymouth Rocks. Would 2 of each be a good plan?
What vaccines should the chicks have or should get in the future? What about deworming and any other treatments?
Any more info, links, suggestions and possible local chicks would be great!
Thanks a bunch and can't wait to join in the love of these critters!
Sarah

welcome-byc.gif

Nova! Have you considered buckeyes? They are good layers and they taste great!! These birds are a dual purpose breed and have been bred to be very cold hardy.. I do not vaccinate for anything. I would consider getting a breeding trio of something for your own sustainability. Good luck and welcome to the NY thread at BYC!!!!

My chicken allergy is getting progessively worse to the point that I now need an inhaler if I do the waterers. :( SO----- We have to get rid of all the chickens. We'll be selling the entire flock as breeding groups, pairs or trios. I only keep the best quality birds, since I used to show. Thought I'd give you all a heads up first before posting them elsewhere.
Breeds:
Lavender & Split Orpingtons - carry the mottled gene - I've worked so hard on this project
sad.png

Isabel (Lavender/wheaten) Project Ameraucanas Lav gene from pips & peeps + wheaten gene from marquisella
1 pair of White Dorkings

Also 3 pairs of peafowl.

I am sorry about your allergies. I found out this summer that I am allergic to timothy grass. I have goats and they eat timothy grass hay. Luckily I can get the kids to give them a bale when needed or I need to shower right after if I have to do it. Chickens are another story, they need more interaction than just giving feed once in a while. Stay on BYC and chat!

Breeds:
sad.png

1 pair of White Dorkings

Also 3 pairs of peafowl.

Tgrlily, sorry to hear of your allergy! Must have been a really hard decision to make, ginny

5 eggs a day. Spring can't be far away, right?

My silkie hatched on chick. It seems to be a bantam, which is fine....however it is showing signs of BLUE feathers. Now I don't know much about genetics, but I am totally stumped on having BLUE show up with the flock I have. Black and Lav roos and assorted hens...NONE of them blue, but a couple are black. I can't wait until it molts in the fall to see what color it is gonna be.

Cass,
Are some of the black hens Lav splits? With the Lav roo you can make lav from the splits.

Back
Top Bottom