NY chicken lover!!!!

Hen and Nova--cute baby pics!

Checked on the babys this morning and everyone is still sleeping. I see another round of butt checks and washing of butts again before work. Wish I could stay home and watch chick tv today! The girls were slow to get up this am. Everyone was looking up when they came out of the coop. Memories of the hawk attack I guess. I am hoping to get a couple of good roos out of the babies to be breeders and to guard the flocks against such attacks. Freezer camp for mean/unnecessary ones.

Have a good day everyone!

I do love ducks! Cute pics!
The ducks are now 4 1/2 weeks old, and are getting big! This one is my favorite. It's the smallest of the bunch, and is the first to run up to me to nibble on my fingers and investigate anything I'm doing.

They'll be beautiful when they're grown - they're pretty now, and that's with their juvenile feathers half-grown in and with gangly baby proportions.

Morning all!! =) Just realized my GFM must have run out.. bummer! I think I may stay 'regular' for a while at least - I nag at my hubby whenever he wants to spend hard earned cash for some forum membership, so I better play nice and do the same =(. (to be fair, HIS forum wants $150!!).

I opened the cage this morning and let the babies mingle with the older 'chicks' again. SO FAR no major dustups except the occasional "know your place" peck. Football roo hasn't taken any unusual interest so far, but he's actually starting to 'dance' for the ladies.. At 14 weeks old! LOL. What's funny is the other teenaged roo in the coop looks MUCH more roostery than he does, but looks like he's going to play second fiddle for a while. As the coop turns!

No pips, etc in my eggs, but they aren't due until Saturday. :)

The ducks are now 4 1/2 weeks old, and are getting big! This one is my favorite. It's the smallest of the bunch, and is the first to run up to me to nibble on my fingers and investigate anything I'm doing.

They'll be beautiful when they're grown - they're pretty now, and that's with their juvenile feathers half-grown in and with gangly baby proportions.

I've got duck eggs in the incubator right now - can't wait till hatch day! I'm so excited to get duckies!!
wee.gif

Morning, peeps! Got the lawn mowed yesterday. That was overdue and, yet, oddly early!

Rancher, just for the record, I have dealt with China through eBay and work (mostly electronics) and only once had an issue. (I fully agree with the USA first attitude, though.)

Well, I have a bit of a dilemma. Went out to feed today and found our very first turkey egg. (We only have one pair...Jersey Buffs.) I am pretty sure Penny is not going to sit on it. I have a couple of Silkies that are taking turns on a nest. Would it be alright to put the turkey egg in with them? I have quail eggs in the bator right now and the neighbor is using the other one for duck eggs, so that is not an option.

I know exactly how you feel. Last summer I looked out the kitchen window to see one of my girls running for her life into the hay barn with a Redtail hawk in hot pursuit! It even banked and flew right into the barn. I ran out screaming at the top of my voice and it took off. There were red feathers everywhere and I thought I would find a corpse. Couldn't find her! Finally looked under the riding mower and there she was! Dragged her out and held her for a while. She was panting like mad. She was one that I hatched,so that hawk didn't know how lucky it was! One thing about having a rooster,they guard the hens....if only they wern't so nasty to their people! Maybe I'll try one again,who knows!

I have had many hawks circling lately and the rooster just stands there and looks at it... The 4th or 5th fly by he finally crowed. I don't really think he understands this predator could possibly kill his hens. But he will end up in the crock soon and I will try again with a delaware I have maybe.

I was planning on using my plucker when it first came but it turned cold out and I really didn't want to process roos in the cold so now that its warming back up I guess I will be doing it soon.

Well I think all the research and searching around for chicks has finally paid off! This Saturday I will be picking up 2 silkie chicks and by the end of the month I will have a chicken coop. (I know, I know, I should have the coop BEFORE getting anything to be prepared) The chicks have to stay in a brooder anyway for a couple more weeks so I figured I had time. Can't wait to see these chickies this weekend!!

Well I think all the research and searching around for chicks has finally paid off! This Saturday I will be picking up 2 silkie chicks and by the end of the month I will have a chicken coop. (I know, I know, I should have the coop BEFORE getting anything to be prepared) The chicks have to stay in a brooder anyway for a couple more weeks so I figured I had time. Can't wait to see these chickies this weekend!!

Congrats first of all on your new chicks! Second, oh please..I had my birds brooding in the garage the whole time the coop was being built!! LOL In fact, every year I say no more birds in the garage..but..I've a garageful right now!

I actually found someone in town with two silkies left. I'll post a pic. However, it's kind of hard to see one of the silkies in this picture not only due to poor image quality, but he's got a show off standing in his way LOL The other one down below just hatched the other day.

I know exactly how you feel. Last summer I looked out the kitchen window to see one of my girls running for her life into the hay barn with a Redtail hawk in hot pursuit! It even banked and flew right into the barn. I ran out screaming at the top of my voice and it took off. There were red feathers everywhere and I thought I would find a corpse. Couldn't find her! Finally looked under the riding mower and there she was! Dragged her out and held her for a while. She was panting like mad. She was one that I hatched,so that hawk didn't know how lucky it was! One thing about having a rooster,they guard the hens....if only they wern't so nasty to their people! Maybe I'll try one again,who knows!

I had to go through a few roosters but the ones I have now are keepers. (with the possible exception of my silkie, little dog syndrome, lol. I may have to hatch some and give one of his sons a try). Even the meanest roo has a place here....it is spelled "crockpot".

Back
Top Bottom