NY chicken lover!!!!

Aww--I hope that works Rancher. I try not to do anything that would be construed as a threat and have never coddled my roosters but for some reason they both decided yesterday was the day to go after me. I have spent some time today with my little guy legolas, feeding him treats and holding him. His brother as well. Olof has stayed clear but Hane came around, hoping for treats. I dont like having to boot them but if I dont, in their mind they have won and will do so again.

My acorn experiment worked! I collected half a jug full wandering around the property(making all the squirrels scream at me at the same time) and poured some in a plastic feed bag and used a hand heavy hammer to smash them up. I then poured the crushed nuts on the big flat rock out in their run. All the rir;s came running like it was christmas. Cleaned up all the nutmeat and are still scratching through the shells looking for anything that was missed. If they are all still alive come morning, I shall continue to gather acorns (we have white oaks) and will freeze them in the feed bags for winter. It should be a good supplement for them for the winter. I will have to see how hard it is to crack black walnuts as I have a source for that as well. Have to start bagging pine needles and leaves for winter for the runs. Seems its coming fast and I heard its supposed to be a heavy one.

Traded eggs for some homegrown organic hot peppers and made hot pepper jam today. Ummm, mmmm. Tasty! Had to put the dehydrator out on the kitchen porch though because the ones I am drying are pretty potent! So beautiful out today. Running back out to sit with my cheeps. Best therapy in the world.

hi everyone, I'd like to join in if I may...I'm from Adoravachick's neck of the woods... I have 10 birds, 2 BR's, 2 RIR's, 2 EE's all pullets, plus 3 EE cockerels and 1 bantam cochin x EE mix pullet. no eggs yet, but the majority are just 21 weeks, I don't know the age of the bantam, but the 2 boys who are her bodyguards are 17 weeks.

Hi Cheeka :)

Hey everyone!! Been a long time!

Anyone know of any swaps/meetups happening near Sullivan County? I have some extra chickens that need to be rehomed.

hi everyone, I'd like to join in if I may...I'm from Adoravachick's neck of the woods... I have 10 birds, 2 BR's, 2 RIR's, 2 EE's all pullets, plus 3 EE cockerels and 1 bantam cochin x EE mix pullet. no eggs yet, but the majority are just 21 weeks, I don't know the age of the bantam, but the 2 boys who are her bodyguards are 17 weeks.

Everyone is always welcome if they can stand the madness.
lol.png
I do believe that the reason some have dropped out is they're in therapy.
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif

Rancher

Everyone is always welcome if they can stand the madness.
lol.png
I do believe that the reason some have dropped out is they're in therapy.
lol.png

welcome-byc.gif

Rancher

They'll come back. They always come back. *cue ominous music for the movie trailer*

Welcome to the new folks!
Rancher, Mrs. B now has a Del chick, and my JG has a pip in an Easter Egger egg, so they're coming along nicely!

Welcome.  We are also locating foundation stock.  What color silkies do you have?

Hi,
We've been growing out pure blacks (blxbl), splash and blue that we purchased from breeders in Maryland and Pennsylvania. We are hoping to get some additional pullets or hens along with a nice rooster.. My daughter wants to show and I am trying hard to locate quality birds for her.
Tina G.

They'll come back. They always come back. *cue ominous music for the movie trailer*

Welcome to the new folks!
Rancher, Mrs. B now has a Del chick, and my JG has a pip in an Easter Egger egg, so they're coming along nicely!

I have one hen with a Birchen chick and another with one I'm not sure yet, cuz it's black and she had a mix of eggs and one EE. I didn't want to mess with her to check which egg hatched.

Here's pic of one of my black orp roosters. Not his best shot but they are nice. I also have nice BBS hen from AL but I just can't hatch from them yet as they were to young this spring.

Howdy neighbor! Welcome
frow.gif

Aww--I hope that works Rancher. I try not to do anything that would be construed as a threat and have never coddled my roosters but for some reason they both decided yesterday was the day to go after me. I have spent some time today with my little guy legolas, feeding him treats and holding him. His brother as well. Olof has stayed clear but Hane came around, hoping for treats. I dont like having to boot them but if I dont, in their mind they have won and will do so again.

My acorn experiment worked! I collected half a jug full wandering around the property(making all the squirrels scream at me at the same time) and poured some in a plastic feed bag and used a hand heavy hammer to smash them up. I then poured the crushed nuts on the big flat rock out in their run. All the rir;s came running like it was christmas. Cleaned up all the nutmeat and are still scratching through the shells looking for anything that was missed. If they are all still alive come morning, I shall continue to gather acorns (we have white oaks) and will freeze them in the feed bags for winter. It should be a good supplement for them for the winter. I will have to see how hard it is to crack black walnuts as I have a source for that as well. Have to start bagging pine needles and leaves for winter for the runs. Seems its coming fast and I heard its supposed to be a heavy one.

Traded eggs for some homegrown organic hot peppers and made hot pepper jam today. Ummm, mmmm. Tasty! Had to put the dehydrator out on the kitchen porch though because the ones I am drying are pretty potent! So beautiful out today. Running back out to sit with my cheeps. Best therapy in the world.
Let us know how the acorn experiment turns out. I have a lot of oaks too!!! Good luck!!

welcome!!!!

Back
Top Bottom