Occasional Sneezing, headshake, mouth gape - Otherwise healthy

Aki

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
I have six 8 week old chicks: 2 silkies, 3 polish, 1 Easter Egger

Near the end of week two, one of the silkies started sneezing repeatedly and it eventually spread before I caught it. I believe I used too fine of shavings and not enough ventilation for those first two weeks.

Started as a case of sneezing and head shaking with with an occasional mouth gape. It's week 8, going into 9 now and maybe half of them are still showing symptoms but at a far less frequency. I think I saw one doing like a weird "chewing" motion at one point?

First I tried about a week of a diluted tetracycline/electrolyte mix. I've been adding a couple drops of VetRx in their water as well since.

Then, I tried some coconut oil and adding crushed garlic in their water for a couple days.

Next, I think I switched back to a couple days of the tetracycline mix. Waited about a week and just recently did a 3 day deworming via water with Safeguard (3cc/gal mix) at the start of the 8th week.

Now I'm back to just adding a couple drops of vetrx and some Apple Cider Vinegar.

They're noticeably sneezing less and the EE actually seems to be symptom free.

They've been eating and drinking totally fine and not showing any signs of lameness or anything. I have three 1 and a half old hens in the back separated and they caught whatever they had too about a week or two after the initial silkie did. They're pretty resident though and I just been giving them a little vetrx+ACV in their water too with some Greek plain yogurt every few days.

I guess my question is, any idea what it might have been/be? Or anything else I can look out for to help identify it? As long as they're still eating/drinking, I guess they're fine? Any general advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom