Octagon 20 A EX w/Pump vs. Suro 20 Pump included

fhdogs

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
Southern Vermont
I'm looking for help choosing an incubator. I am a bells and whistles kind of person, but I really have no need to get anything larger than a "20" as I'm just looking to have something on hand to keep my flock going without increasing the size very much.

The biggest difference that I can see between the two models is that the Octagon will automatically stop turning whereas the Suro doesn't.

Are there any other differences. I should know about? The Suro is much more affordable if all I need to do is stop it from turning at the end of incubation.

I have a Brinsea pro 20. I can tell you that it wont hold 20 large eggs. I can get about 15 in my comfortably. I have an auto turner for mine and the humidity module as well. I dont know about the EX but I love mine. The temp is very stable. Once I set it, i dont worry about. Same with the humidity. My readout was off so I popped the button off and set it and its great now. If it reads 55%, its 55%. Ive never heard of a Suro so I cant help with that. I just love my Brinsea though.

Thanks guys, we just ordered the Suro20. It took some convincing, but my fiancée understood that I wanted to be able to hatch chicks first thing this spring. Since I haven't seen much about the Suro20 here on BYC hopefully I'll be able to post some good reviews about it.

I couldn't really go with the Brinsea since it's almost $200 more than the Suro. I think I'll be able to remember I need to turn off the turner.

On a side note. My fiancée, who think I'm obsessed with the chickens and ducks said "now that we are getting the incubator we need to get EEs". I think I'm finally getting her hooked. Anyone have cheap EE eggs?
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Greenwood. Now I'm starting to panic that I'm not going to have room for what I hatch. Hopefully the upswing in demand for back yard chicks will continue into next spring and I'll be able to rehome them.

Quote:
woot.gif

PM me if you have any questions as you set it up or run it the first time. I'm not a pro, but I have used it and had my share of questions the first time around!
smile.png

Let the hatching begin!

Quote:
It cost $300. I got it here: http://www.jmtdistributors.com/rcom-suro-20-n20.html

I
really wanted a Brinsea, but by the time you add the pump and everything I couldn't justify the price. I just have to remember to take it off the turner at day 18.

Thanks Greenwood Chick - It's been running a couple of hours at 65% and there's been very little fluctuation. Did you use an extra thermometer/hygrometer or just rely on the electronics built in?

Back
Top Bottom