October hatch "Grow-a-long"šŸ„

Attachments

• 8532E7B3-D540-41E2-A6D3-48A94D08A5B2.jpeg
    8532E7B3-D540-41E2-A6D3-48A94D08A5B2.jpeg
    723.8 KB · Views: 4
Oh wow, they have all grown up since October! Which breed is he again?
I know! My baby boy is all grown up now! :) He is a Belgian Bearded d'Anver! I am working on trying to show and breed them, and he was the ONLY one to hatch from some eggs I was hoping would be the start of white flock. Maybe this spring I can hatch some babies that at least carry white in the genes.

I know! My baby boy is all grown up now! :) He is a Belgian Bearded d'Anver! I am working on trying to show and breed them, and he was the ONLY one to hatch from some eggs I was hoping would be the start of white flock. Maybe this spring I can hatch some babies that at least carry white in the genes.
I love d'Anvers and almost any breed that has muffs and a beard! Breeding d'Anvers sounds like a fun thing to do. I would breed chickens, but I simply do not have enough effort to put into that, and I don't understand genetics.

I love d'Anvers and almost any breed that has muffs and a beard! Breeding d'Anvers sounds like a fun thing to do. I would breed chickens, but I simply do not have enough effort to put into that, and I don't understand genetics.
Yeah, d'Anvers are just such fun little chickens! Tiny, sassy, beards and muffs...hard to go wrong! :D They are challenging to tackle as a breed, since they aren't quite as popular as d'Uccles. I find genetics fascinating but very challenging! There is sooo much to learn and even when you think you know, you don't know all that you should know! :)

Yeah, d'Anvers are just such fun little chickens! Tiny, sassy, beards and muffs...hard to go wrong! :D They are challenging to tackle as a breed, since they aren't quite as popular as d'Uccles. I find genetics fascinating but very challenging! There is sooo much to learn and even when you think you know, you don't know all that you should know! :)
Once you start breeding and selling a more rare breed such as d'Anvers, though, you could definitely pay off your hard work! Since you are wanting to breed d'Anvers, I figure you have read some articles on chicken genetics, am I right? Are there any useful beginner ones?

Once you start breeding and selling a more rare breed such as d'Anvers, though, you could definitely pay off your hard work! Since you are wanting to breed d'Anvers, I figure you have read some articles on chicken genetics, am I right? Are there any useful beginner ones?
That is my hope! We will see if I have any success! I actually didn't want to start with harder to understand science, I started with this site and following the "Ask Nicalandia" thread and I read threads on breeding and genetics on the Ameraucana Breeder Club website. Much of their info is public, you don't need to be a member to gain access to their genetics threads and there are a LOT of really great threads on basic chicken genetics. I also finally learned how to use the Chicken Calculator and that has helped me with very very basic color genetics. I'm just now venturing into actual papers about specific genes and such haha. Didn't want to overwhelm myself! :)

Back
Top Bottom