Odd behavior at dusk

Sadh

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 14, 2014
I just moved my chicks to their outdoor coop last Saturday.
Right around dusk every night they go into their coop on their own, which is awesome, and not the problem.
I went in to check on them on their second night outside and they were tightly packed/piled behind their food feeder. They were laying on top of each other and seem to be sleeping that way.

i'm just wondering if that is normal, or if anyone has had that happen before? I guess if its not hurting them there is no reason to worry, but it seems pretty odd. I even tried to move them a few times and they ran back to that corner and piled up again as soon as I would let them
And no it isn't cold outside

Do you have a roost for them? I know it always takes my new pullets a couple of weeks to figure out their sleeping arrangements. But will soon all be on the roost. (Or sometimes in the nesting box)

I do have a couple of roosting options for them and nesting boxes as well.

My chicks sometimes take a few months to want to roost. This is OK.

What you are seeing is what I always see in my flock when I raise chicks. I would say that it is typical for them to not start roosting here until they are two or three months old, sometimes a bit longer.

As long as they aren't suffocating each other (which they would if they were tiny chicks) everything is fine!

Something may have spooked them....and they were cuddling.
How old are they? I'd block the nests for now so they don't form a habit of sleeping in them.

They are 8 weeks old. It is very possible my dog spooked them. He has charged their fence once or twice. they didn't seem too bothered by it at the time, but as soon as the light starts to fade they scurry into that corner.
Going to give them some adjustment time and hope they relax. Also, working on a fix for the slightly mischievous lab puppy :)
Here are the girls on their roost (I may have helped them up ;)... they haven't been back since).

They are 8 weeks old. It is very possible my dog spooked them. He has charged their fence once or twice. they didn't seem too bothered by it at the time, but as soon as the light starts to fade they scurry into that corner.
Going to give them some adjustment time and hope they relax. Also, working on a fix for the slightly mischievous lab puppy :)
Here are the girls on their roost (I may have helped them up ;)... they haven't been back since).
Aww they look so grown up- they are very cute!

:)

At that age they may still prefer to sleep on the floor cuddled up....it's not a problem, as they get older they'll go to roost.
I've found that waiting and watching is fascinating, you'll start to kind of learn why they d what they do.

Thanks!
Hopefully the chicken at the bottom of the pile is fine.. I think they fight over that spot so they must like it.

Back
Top Bottom