Odd bumblefoot. What should i do?

Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
So my white rock started limping about a week ago just a little bit and I noticed a small place of missing skin on her foot. As of 2 days ago, she stopped walking 95% and hasn't moved around much but have been keeping a close eye on her with food, water, and checking on her cut. As of today, the small thin piece of skin that was missing has turned into a hard round scab on the bottom of her foot but unlike any other case I've ever seen, there's no swelling/infection visible on the foot, just a round scab. Anyway I made her a sling and soaked her feet in warm epsom salt water for about 30 min and then put plain neosporin on the bottom of her foot and have kept her inside the house in a container. I was told by a lady who works at a dog veterinarian place who has her own chickens that I should scrape off the sore and then put microcynAh but was thinking this might actually cause an infection if there possibly isn't one yet, and saw on here that you shouldn't do that. What do you suggest? Obviously it must be pretty painful for her not to walk around much, but would you suggest scraping the scab off?

Here is one of the posts I saw (read 3rd comment/reply) recommending not to do that: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/bumblefoot-with-no-swelling.677868/

Pictures of the foot pad may help. The Epsom salts soaks to the feet daily may be helpful in healing her foot. Each case should be treated individually. One person recommends applying a clear iodine dressing on the scab for several days. There are a lot of different ways to treat it. I have done the surgery a few times, but it may not be necessary most of the time. If there is an abscess, yes that might be necessary, but many times you can remove the scab and and press out the pus. TriCide Neo is a fish medicine that some use to soak the feet with bumblefoot.

Pictures of the foot pad may help. The Epsom salts soaks to the feet daily may be helpful in healing her foot. Each case should be treated individually. One person recommends applying a clear iodine dressing on the scab for several days. There are a lot of different ways to treat it. I have done the surgery a few times, but it may not be necessary most of the time. If there is an abscess, yes that might be necessary, but many times you can remove the scab and and press out the pus. TriCide Neo is a fish medicine that some use to soak the feet with bumblefoot.
I will see if I can get the picture uploaded tomorrow. I went ahead and removed the scap and it was dry underneath. Pressed but no pus come out. Maybe that's a good sign I hope.

So I had to go out of town that week and was able to let a vet technician look after her, and when I got back, her foot has now fully healed where the bumblefoot was, but she still refuses to walk. Even the vet tech said it looked very minor as there was not even any swelling around the foot. Any idea as to why she still won't walk? I've had to keep her inside for 3 weeks now. All she will do is partly stand and if she tries to fully stand, a lot of the time she falls back over.

Attachments

• 20220817_121559.jpg
    20220817_121559.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 7
  • 20220817_122350.jpg
    20220817_122350.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom