Odd egg colour

Pics

angela0408

Songster
12 Years
May 30, 2009
Canada
Ok so here’s a question for the experts. I have brown egg layers (mostly standard red rock cross and RIR, brown Sussex, your standard egg layers. I also have polish and this a couple of polish/Silkie/d’ucle-cochin cross. So either brown or white layers. At first I thought this green egg was coming from the hay where she was laying, but I found this in the coop this morning.

I’ve eaten these eggs, there’s nothing wrong. I’ve never had this before. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 996D4FCB-7207-4529-848A-C51FABADBD6F.jpeg
    996D4FCB-7207-4529-848A-C51FABADBD6F.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 30
Quite a surprise, isn't it. I don't know where you got those chickens but somewhere in that hen's ancestry was a blue or green egg layer. If it was from her mother then that hen hatched from a blue or green egg. If it was from her father who knows how far back it may have gone. Roosters don't lay eggs so you don't know what genetics they may pass down.

There is nothing wrong with that egg, just a surprise you sometimes get with crosses.

Congratulations you have a hen that has the blue egg gene and also brown egg genes so you have an Olive Egger… two of mine.

Perfectly safe to eat.

Only controversy on blue gene eggs is recent and being raised by rabbis that don’t understand genetics well or chickens or chicken breeds. If you eat kosher I wouldn’t worry to much the blue gene in chickens is not caused by hybridization, it is not man made.

13055255-A6C9-41F6-999C-48E82FD00D5A.jpeg

But where! Do you think there could be a spontaneous switch? Everyone has been laying for 6 months to 2 years. No green eggs until about a week ago.
Any chance you have a pullet who wasn't laying but you thought was? Our olive egger didn't start laying until much later than the rest. She was also the first to quit in the fall this year the lazy bones.

Quite a surprise, isn't it. I don't know where you got those chickens but somewhere in that hen's ancestry was a blue or green egg layer. If it was from her mother then that hen hatched from a blue or green egg. If it was from her father who knows how far back it may have gone. Roosters don't lay eggs so you don't know what genetics they may pass down.

There is nothing wrong with that egg, just a surprise you sometimes get with crosses.
Fascinating! It’s weird that they would go so long laying brown and then switch to green. I love genetics!

Fascinating! It’s weird that they would go so long laying brown and then switch to green. I love genetics!
I have never heard of switching colors. I am almost 100% sure they don't switch from brown to green egg laying ( both colors from the same bird). Someone is pranking you or you had an Easter egger and she just started laying.

Back
Top Bottom