Odd egg colour

I have never heard of switching colors. I am almost 100% sure they don't switch from brown to green egg laying ( both colors from the same bird). Someone is pranking you or you had an Easter egger and she just started laying.
I did have a hen that laid olive, & all of the sudden stop laying olive, & is laying brown.
20201120_150012.jpg
Weirdest thing I've had happen.

Ok so here’s a question for the experts. I have brown egg layers (mostly standard red rock cross and RIR, brown Sussex, your standard egg layers. I also have polish and this a couple of polish/Silkie/d’ucle-cochin cross. So either brown or white layers. At first I thought this green egg was coming from the hay where she was laying, but I found this in the coop this morning.

I’ve eaten these eggs, there’s nothing wrong. I’ve never had this before. Thoughts?
That is one of the colors I get from my Easter Eggers. Is it possible one of yours has an Easter Egger relative?

Do you think there could be a spontaneous switch? Everyone has been laying for 6 months to 2 years. No green eggs until about a week ago.

I did have a hen that laid olive, & all of the sudden stop laying olive, & is laying brown.
Highly unlikely.

Best to check the shell color by removing the inner membranes immediately after breaking egg open. Tho the coating color can change and vary, AFAIK shell color cannot.

The very basics of egg color:
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.

Highly unlikely.

Best to check the shell color by removing the inner membranes immediately after breaking egg open. Tho the coating color can change and vary, AFAIK shell color cannot.

The very basics of egg color:
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
I still have the oddball hen. I used food dye in their vents to figure out who was laying the olive eggs. Only one hen had that blue dye. It was just odd.

I'm not saying that one of OPs birds' randomly started laying blue.

I'm not saying that one of OPs birds' randomly started laying blue.
No, you said you had one that went from green to brown....
...same principal.
Tho I've had olive eggers(blue shell) that looked more brown than olive.

Back
Top Bottom