Odd egg colour

View attachment 2994278
My Black copper maran hen lays the egg in the lower right corner, but she also laid the purple egg, (just the bloom.)
I have 8 Marans, but 1 lays hers with a lovely "violet" bloom, too. My EEs lay pretty blue, like a Robin's egg shade. Isn't it amazing? Collecting daily eggs always makes me smile!
20211013_151218.jpg 1601489346742_image.png

Highly unlikely.

Best to check the shell color by removing the inner membranes immediately after breaking egg open. Tho the coating color can change and vary, AFAIK shell color cannot.

The very basics of egg color:
There are only white and blue shells.
Brown eggs have brown coating on white shells.
Green eggs have brown coating on blue shells.
That's what I'm thinking... a rooster is involved there, somewhere. Of course, I don't see where the OP said he/she had a rooster in their flock. I may have missed it.

That's what I'm thinking... a rooster is involved there, somewhere. Of course, I don't see where the OP said he/she had a rooster in their flock. I may have missed it.
She’s not farm born. She must have the blue gene, but what weird is that it was brown, but maybe her tint hadn’t come in until now and it was hard to tell it was green at first.

I get it! I have cream legbar that laid a soft pinkish egg last year. She just started laying again now that the days are longer and warmer and she is laying a moss green egg! my husband and i were stumped about this egg and finally caught her laying it! I didn’t think it was possible for hens to change colors but we saw her laying it!

I get it! I have cream legbar that laid a soft pinkish egg last year. She just started laying again now that the days are longer and warmer and she is laying a moss green egg! my husband and i were stumped about this egg and finally caught her laying it! I didn’t think it was possible for hens to change colors but we saw her laying it!
First off, not a cream legbar.
Second: that’s legitimately impossible, lmao

Ok so here’s a question for the experts. I have brown egg layers (mostly standard red rock cross and RIR, brown Sussex, your standard egg layers. I also have polish and this a couple of polish/Silkie/d’ucle-cochin cross. So either brown or white layers. At first I thought this green egg was coming from the hay where she was laying, but I found this in the coop this morning.

I’ve eaten these eggs, there’s nothing wrong. I’ve never had this before. Thoughts?
Don't worry about the egg. It is perfectly healthy. Almost all of my hens lay eggs anywhere from baby blue to olive green. It's possible that the hen who laid it has some "easter egger" as it's called in her genetics.

First off, not a cream legbar.
Second: that’s legitimately impossible, lmao
Truly it’s not! The chicken has switch egg color. B
i know, research says this is impossible, but there it is! All brown eggs, now the green egg 6 months later. I have moved my suspect to the lower barn but it’s more because we also thinks she’s eating eggs. Bad girl.

Truly it’s not! The chicken has switch egg color. B

i know, research says this is impossible, but there it is! All brown eggs, now the green egg 6 months later. I have moved my suspect to the lower barn but it’s more because we also thinks she’s eating eggs. Bad girl.
Are you sure she was the brown layer before? 100% sure?

Are you sure she was the brown layer before? 100% sure?
As sure as I can be. She’s been sitting on nests, eggs underneath her since September. I’m thinking it’s a tinting thing. Her eggs were so light they looked brown until recently and then it’s “come into her color”. Shes almost a year old.

Back
Top Bottom