Phillisy

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I have a trio of Sebastopol who are all 3-4 years old; this is my first season with them. My one girl, Anastasia, started laying about 2 weeks ago, and I got an egg from her on the 17, 19, and 24. The weather has been weird, so I think it’s throwing her off. I thought my other girl, Dolly, laid her first egg yesterday, as she had “convinced” my gander, Kenny, to finally start performing the day before, and I found an egg in the opposite corner of the stall as Anastasia has made her nest in. However, today I found this egg in my ducks side of the coop, and it’s definitely not a duck egg, but it’s rather misshapen...

4B0BCCBC-B274-4BAA-89A9-EFC8E665BAAD.jpeg

Egg from the 29th on the left, and from today on the right. It’s hard to tell in the picture, but one side is quite flat while the other is more curved.
EF7DA124-02C1-4393-AB0E-58F7794A0658.jpeg

There is a “wrinkle” also, which you can see the better when it’s candled.

I’m now thinking maybe the egg from yesterday was Anastasia’s, and this may be Dolly’s first of the season which is why it’s a bit odd...?
Is it normal for the first eggs geese lay to be less uniform while they get their reproductive system going again? Or was this caused my something else (stress)? Will I be able to hatch it if it’s viable?

Last edited:
Do you provide oyster shells or eggshells? , it doesn't look too funky to me. She could just be getting her system back in order, let us know how her next egg looks.

Yes, I started setting out oyster shell just before Anastasia started laying, and they’re both been eating it.
Unfortunately I am unable to get food formulated for water fowl here though, so I have them on a 50/50 diet of 16% poultry feed, and a mix of peas/wheat/barley, but have been wondering (not just because of the egg, but in general) if I should add some kind of vitamin supplement as well.

In person it is noticeably lop sided, it almost feels oval across the girth instead of round, although the shell aside from the oddities does feel okay in terms of quality. Hopefully her next egg is normal. This is my first year keeping geese, so it’s a bit of a curve for me 😂. I’ve never even had pointy pullet eggs from my hens, so when I saw this egg I had a “wtf” moment.

I’m incubating the Sebbie eggs, do you think a gosling would be able to hatch from this one if the egg is viable? The weight is okay at 155g, it’s just the irregularity I’m worried about.

Yes, I started setting out oyster shell just before Anastasia started laying, and they’re both been eating it.
Unfortunately I am unable to get food formulated for water fowl here though, so I have them on a 50/50 diet of 16% poultry feed, and a mix of peas/wheat/barley, but have been wondering (not just because of the egg, but in general) if I should add some kind of vitamin supplement as well.

In person it is noticeably lop sided, it almost feels oval across the girth instead of round, although the shell aside from the oddities does feel okay in terms of quality. Hopefully her next egg is normal. This is my first year keeping geese, so it’s a bit of a curve for me 😂. I’ve never even had pointy pullet eggs from my hens, so when I saw this egg I had a “wtf” moment.

I’m incubating the Sebbie eggs, do you think a gosling would be able to hatch from this one if the egg is viable? The weight is okay at 155g, it’s just the irregularity I’m worried about.

If you think the egg is irregular, I would use a more normal egg for incubation. But I'm no expert on incubation, the only incubator i have is the one that hisses and try's to kill you when you go anywhere near it. :gig

Back
Top Bottom