Odd Looking Eggs- Rough and Bumpy- Advice Please!

LupinLaneChickens

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Lynnwood, WA
Hello,
I have a Black Silkie Bantam that is laying these rough looking eggs. At first it was just everyone once in a while that I would get these eggs but lately it has become every egg that she lays looks something like this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Here is another post that I put up regarding the feather loss on her head! She seems to have so many issues!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=486154

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
Mostly just a black silkie bantam, but starting to happen mildly to some of the other birds

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
The eggs are rough and seem overall unhealthy, shells are a little bit thin
She is also having problems with feather loss (mostly on her head) I am not sure if the two are connected though

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
This past month

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
I am noticing a few rough shells from the other birds, but only mildly rough

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
some feather loss

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
She has been eating some of the pigeon millet lately, would the more fatty food do this to her eggs?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
She eats...
- Layer crumble - 16% Protien
- Always has fresh water
- Oyster Shells are always available though I dont know if/when she eats them
- Poultry Grit is always available though I dont know if/ when she eats them
- She eats fresh fruits and vegetables

She is eating and drinking normally, if anything she may be just a little bit overweight, definitely not underweight

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Normal

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
She has been wormed with Pig Swig, dusted with poultry dust and had two drops of Frontline applied between her wings

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
Myself

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Pine Shavings inside the chicken coop (kept clean)
59972_use.jpg

59972_use2.jpg

I was going to send you to the same site. The egg just has extra calcium deposits on it. Not really a problem. The featherloss on her head looks like normal feather loss and regrowth. Mine will occasioonally lose the feathers on their heads or neck etc. Looks like yours are regrowing.

Imp

Back
Top Bottom