Of Feathers And Flames- A Wings of Fire AU RP

Fox woke me early the next morning. He said his afternoon was booked and that we would begin practice arrangements today before he left. We had three weeks until the arena.
I limped down the hall, and the SolarWing followed me.
"I wasn't trying to kill you last night, Tobe." Fox walked ahead of me, leading us down the hall. He had barely spoken until now, and he seemed relieved.
"I know." I said.
"It was a test."
Three men exited a room ahead, speaking in low voices, and they began walking the opposite side of the hall, heading in our direction. Sol stopped, then retreated back a few uneven few steps.
"No, Sol." I told him, and he froze, then sidestepped. "No, Sol." He obeyed, and I stood beside him as the men passed.
Julius turned around and motioned for us to follow him. He wore a long brown trench coat, and it swayed as he spun back on his heel, continuing down the hall.
My eyes flicked over the bruises beneath the collar clamped around Sol's neck, which tainted his scales deep purple and black. I pulled away, hobbling up to Fox. Sol followed.
"Think I'll win him over?" Fox walked closely beside me, his tone cocky.
I dragged a hand through my dark hair, which fell down to my eyes. It needed to be cut. "He sees me as his provider. His protector. It took a lot to win him over, Fox. Months." I swallowed, and my throat ached. "There's a lot to recover from after last night. I've never caused him harm before, Fox, and you threatened the both of us."
"Oh, Tobe, it was a test!"
"It was impulsive." I snapped. "Regardless, you hurt him. You hurt me. He's scared of you. Real scared."
Fox was quiet for a moment, and the only sound was our feet and his talons.
"He's scared of everything, Tobe."
"Yeah." I spoke with forced softness. "Yes, he is. But I do have hope that one day he will speak, and that he will smile, and that he will learn to depend on himself, too."
"No, absolutely. You're making good moves with him, Tobias. I'm certain he'll begin to develop more in the coming months, maybe even weeks."
Even after last night my deep liking for Fox persisted, and I felt it especially now.
He spat, then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, then cleared his throat. "That's how they are when they come out of the labs." He nodded back towards Sol. "Come out with no more sense than a dragonet. Got to bring 'em back. Teach them how to live all over again. They don't got instinct. Left it behind with their minds." Fox turned off, leading us through a wide doorway.
Sol stayed close as I pondered Fox's words.
I could hear voices emitting from the room, and Sol's ears stood erect. He stopped in the doorway. The room was a large concrete lot. A few dragons lingered, and people passed by, everyone either working or talking. Fox had strode deep into the room, and I made to follow him, but Sol would not move.
"Alright, Tobe." Fox said, glancing towards me, but I didn't return the look, focusing my attention on the spooked SolarWing. He stood transfixed in the doorway, and I urged him to follow. He snorted and jumped at some irrational fear. The dragon sidestepped and tripped. Fox crossed his arms. "Get your hooligan under control."

We left Sol, which he was not in the least pleased over. I exited the room quickly, before Fox, because if he was put in a stock while I stood there and did nothing, I worried our bond might be severed right then and there. He needed to be examined, and I understand this, but once again I felt strangely offended and protective as Fox and I continued through the halls.
He took me to a large office where I was weighed, measured, inspected, and prescribed a liquid medication. A vial of extremely concentrated calcium, magnesium- an overdose, but whatever, maybe that would balance out the overwhelming amount of steroid-like stimulant injections, which Fox said would take full effect in less than a week. A week. I truly feared for my pathetic heart. The concentrated chemical hormones were an incredible overdose, especially for a man of my size- I was small, never surpassed one-fifty in weight, stopped growing a millimeter above 5"6', never gained enough weight to cover my ribs.
"This will kill me." I told Fox.
"Nah." He grunted. "I won't let it kill you."
"Ah, yes, a match between you and my imminent cardiac arrest would be so entertaining."
"It won't kill you, Tobe."
"Have you taken it?"
"Yes. It's a five day process, and a real headache. It won't kill you."
"I get jacked in five days?" Disgust laced through my drawling tone.
"Five days."
We stared at each other for a bit.
I turned away, "This will kill me."

Training began that night.
Fox owned a large lot with lockers, and rooms, and one big slab of smooth concrete, where the first training session began. Fox seemed to be waiting for something, perhaps stalling, but I did not ask him about it. Instead I helped him work with Sol.
Sol was always wary of everyone, save myself, and I began to realize what an impact my outward actions and emotions had on him. He replicated my trust to an extent. I could see this in the way he interacted with Fox. He would come close to us on his own accord, not always when I called, and he would stand close to Fox. He never met the man's eyes, and he would not let Fox touch him. But he still came, and I took it as a sign of progress. He was successfully reading me.
I wanted to grow close to Fox because I had hope in Fox. A way out. No one got that in a Gladiator Ring. People were abused, and killed, and forgotten in a Gladiator Ring.
I had no choice but to be grateful. I had no choice but to treat Fox as a friend. Sol saw it. And because of Cersei, he sought it. But his fear was strong and instinctual.
"Don't be scared, Sol." I would tell him, not in a coaxing tone, but one of expectancy and command. He wanted to please me. This was how he could do it. He would obey me up until the point Fox was closest to touching him. Then he would push away and bolt, and toss his head, and trot along the edge of the training ring in fear-induced excitement, snorting like a horse.
We spent two hours repeating this.

Julius offered dried beef, and Sol could smell it. His eyes flicked up at Fox's hand then back to the floor. Like a shy toddler he approached, shuffling a little.
"You can take it." I said, motioning to Fox's outstretched hand. "He won't hurt you. He won't touch you. He wants you to take the food."
Sol looked at me with those big yellow eyes, and I smiled, giving a soft laugh as I looked away and shook my head.
Fox didn't speak. He didn't want to deter the SolarWing in any way.
"It's okay, Sol." I approached Fox, wincing as my sore body tensed. I still limped from my bruised thigh. Fox held still and I retrieved the beef between my middle and forefinger. I ate a little. He watched me with anticipation. It had been a while since he had shown so much outward emotion. With a relaxed composure, I offered him the meat. Immediately Sol stepped forward, and I tossed the beef back to Fox. He caught it tensely, sucking his lips between his teeth as he worked to limit his movement.
I thought, and maybe hoped Sol might roll his eyes as he stood there, tense, his gaze locked on Fox's hand.
"Take the meat, Sol."
I saw him clench his jaw.
"Right now, Sol."
The dragon dipped his head and committed to the last step, reaching out gingerly, then pulling back, the small strip of meat dangling from his jaws.
Fox leaned forward, his hands on his knees as he gave a long exhale. "Been holding that breath for two straight minutes." He sighed loudly. "Thought he might jus snap my hand up, too."
I forced a smile. My body was aching more steadily, muscles pinching and uncomfortable.
Julius straightened. "Where'd you learn such dang good, Dragon, buddy?"
I watched Sol, who still hadn't moved. Saliva dripped down the meat and onto the floor. "I had a bit of an apprenticeship opportunity in my early teens, medical sort of thing. It forced me to learn it." The SolarWing stared into my eyes. "You can eat that." I said, and he held my gaze, working the meat down his throat with his tongue.
Fox smiled. "We'll win him over, Tobe."
"You certainly will." I agreed.
The sound of a slamming door echoed down the hall. Sol jumped. Fox sighed, then sniffed.
"Our last member for the arena, Tobe." He said, rocking on the heels of his feet.
A woman turned the corner, entering into the wide training room. She stood in the doorway, swaying a little. She coughed.
"Are you drunk?" Fox frowned.
"Probably." She dropped her red duffle bag.
Awkward silence, and I looked down. Sol stood rigid beside me. Julius started to laugh.
"Oh my gosh, I'm kidding, why are you so weird like that?" She pulled off her hooded sweater, tossing it onto her bag. "I don't get drunk." She pointed at me. "Very bad habit, drinking. I only do it occasionally."
"Daily."
"Ah, shut up, Julius."
She walked towards us and her dark skin glinted in the bright lights. Black marks stained her arms, disappearing beneath her sleeveless shirt, and as she drew nearer I realized they were tattoos. Rows and rows of words looped around her forearms and shoulders, the ink faded and stretched. It was strange.
Her eyes studied Sol as she approached. "Now-... Wow. That's a dragon, Fox. That's quite a dragon."
He nodded and looked at me.
I smiled and looked down.

I've had a busy week, but I needed to get this out there and move on, though there are a few things I know need to be edited and switched around yet. I have a really hot piece hopefully coming out tomorrow night. Don't want to slow down and kill the vibe.

Last edited:
Fox woke me early the next morning. He said his afternoon was booked and that we would begin practice arrangements today before he left. We had three weeks until the arena.
"I wasn't trying to kill you last night, Tobe." Fox walked ahead of me, leading us down the hall. He had barely spoken until now, and he seemed relieved.
"I know." I said.
"It was a test."
Three men exited a room ahead, speaking in low voices, and they began walking the opposite side of the hall, heading in our direction. Sol stopped, then retreated back a few uneven few steps.
"No, Sol." I told him, and he froze, then sidestepped. "No, Sol." He obeyed, and I stood beside him as the men passed.
Julius turned around and motioned for us to follow him. He wore a long brown trench coat, and it swayed as he spun back on his heel, continuing down the hall.
My eyes flicked over the bruises beneath the collar clamped around Sol's neck, which tainted his scales deep purple and black. I pulled away, hobbling up to Fox. Sol followed.
I dragged a hand through my dark hair, which fell down to my eyes. It needed to be cut. "He sees me as his provider. His protector. It took a lot to win him over, Fox. Months." I swallowed, and my throat ached. "There's a lot to recover from after last night. I've never caused him harm before, Fox, and you threatened the both of us."
"It was impulsive." I snapped. "Regardless, you hurt him. You hurt me. He's scared of you. Real scared."
"Yeah." I spoke with forced softness. "Yes, he is. But I do have hope that one day he will speak, and that he will smile, and that he will learn to depend on himself, too."
"No, absolutely. You're making good moves with him, Tobias. I'm certain he'll begin to develop more in the coming months, maybe even weeks."
Even after last night my deep liking for Fox persisted, and I felt it especially now.
He spat, then wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, then cleared his throat. "That's how they are when they come out of the labs." He nodded back towards Sol. "Come out with no more sense than a dragonet. Got to bring 'em back. Teach them how to live all over again. They don't got instinct. Left it behind with their minds." Fox turned off, leading us through a wide doorway.
I could hear voices emitting from the room, and Sol's ears stood erect. He stopped in the doorway. The room was a large concrete lot. A few dragons lingered, and people passed by, everyone either working or talking. Fox had strode deep into the room, and I made to follow him, but Sol would not move.
"Alright, Tobe." Fox said, glancing towards me, but I didn't return the look, focusing my attention on the spooked SolarWing. He stood transfixed in the doorway, and I urged him to follow. He snorted and jumped at some irrational fear. The dragon sidestepped and tripped. Fox crossed his arms. "Get your hooligan under control."

We left Sol, which he was not in the least pleased over. I exited the room quickly, before Fox, because if he was put in a stock while I stood there and did nothing, I worried our bond might be severed right then and there. He needed to be examined, and I understand this, but once again I felt strangely offended and protective as Fox and I continued through the halls.
He took me to a large office where I was weighed, measured, inspected, and prescribed a liquid medication. A vial of extremely concentrated calcium, magnesium- an overdose, but whatever, maybe that would balance out the overwhelming amount of steroid-like stimulant injections, which Fox said would take full effect in less than a week. A week. I truly feared for my pathetic heart. The concentrated chemical hormones were an incredible overdose, especially for a man of my size- I was small, never surpassed one-fifty in weight, stopped growing a millimeter above 5"6', never gained enough weight to cover my ribs.
"Ah, yes, a match between you and my imminent cardiac arrest would be so entertaining."
"Have you taken it?"
"Five days."

Fox owned a large lot with lockers, and rooms, and one big slab of smooth concrete, where the first training session began. Fox seemed to be waiting for something, perhaps stalling, but I did not ask him about it. Instead I helped him work with Sol.
Sol was always wary of everyone, save myself, and I began to realize what an impact my outward actions and emotions had on him. He replicated my trust to an extent. I could see this in the way he interacted with Fox. He would come close to us on his own accord, not always when I called, and he would stand close to Fox. He never met the man's eyes, and he would not let Fox touch him. But he still came, and I took it as a sign of progress. He was successfully reading me.
I wanted to grow close to Fox because I had hope in Fox. A way out. No one got that in a Gladiator Ring. People were abused, and killed, and forgotten in a Gladiator Ring.
I had no choice but to be grateful. I had no choice but to treat Fox as a friend. Sol saw it. And because of Cersei, he sought it. But his fear was strong and instinctual.
"Don't be scared, Sol." I would tell him, not in a coaxing tone, but one of expectancy and command. He wanted to please me. This was how he could do it. He would obey me up until the point Fox was closest to touching him. Then he would push away and bolt, and toss his head, and trot along the edge of the training ring in fear-induced excitement, snorting like a horse.

Julius offered dried beef, and Sol could smell it. His eyes flicked up at Fox's hand then back to the floor. Like a shy toddler he approached, shuffling a little.
"You can take it." I said, motioning to Fox's outstretched hand. "He won't hurt you. He won't touch you. He wants you to take the food."
Sol looked at me with those big yellow eyes, and I smiled, giving a soft laugh as I looked away and shook my head.
"It's okay, Sol." I approached Fox, wincing as my sore body tensed. I still limped from my bruised thigh. Fox held still and I retrieved the beef between my middle and forefinger. I ate a little. He watched me with anticipation. It had been a while since he had shown so much outward emotion. With a relaxed composure, I offered him the meat. Immediately Sol stepped forward, and I tossed the beef back to Fox. He caught it tensely, sucking his lips between his teeth as he worked to limit his movement.
I thought, and maybe hoped Sol might roll his eyes as he stood there, tense, his gaze locked on Fox's hand.
"Take the meat, Sol."
"Right now, Sol."
The dragon dipped his head and committed to the last step, reaching out gingerly, then pulling back, the small strip of meat dangling from his jaws.
Fox leaned forward, his hands on his knees as he gave a long exhale. "Been holding that breath for two straight minutes." He sighed loudly. "Thought he might jus snap my hand up, too."
I forced a smile. My body was aching more steadily, muscles pinching and uncomfortable.
I watched Sol, who still hadn't moved. Saliva dripped down the meat and onto the floor. "I had a bit of an apprenticeship opportunity in my early teens, medical sort of thing. It forced me to learn it." The SolarWing stared into my eyes. "You can eat that." I said, and he held my gaze, working the meat down his throat with his tongue.
The sound of a slamming door echoed down the hall. Sol jumped. Fox sighed, then sniffed.
"Our last member for the arena, Tobe." He said, rocking on the heels of his feet.
A woman turned the corner, entering into the wide training room. She stood in the doorway, swaying a little. She coughed.
Awkward silence, and I looked down. Sol stood rigid beside me. Julius started to laugh.
"Oh my gosh, I'm kidding, why are you so weird like that?" She pulled off her hooded sweater, tossing it onto her bag. "I don't get drunk." She pointed at me. "Very bad habit, drinking. I only do it occasionally."
"Daily."
"Ah, shut up, Julius."
She walked towards us and her dark skin glinted in the bright lights. Small black marks stained her arms, disappearing beneath her sleeveless shirt, and as she drew nearer I realized they were tattoos. Rows and rows of words looped around her forearms and shoulders, the ink faded and stretched.
"The SolarWing is very impressive," she commented, her accented voice echoing. Sometimes she rolled her R's. "I hope he has a cool name to fit, otherwise that would be lame."
"His name cool." Fox promised.
"Well, then, tell me what it is before I faint and die of anticipation and my desperate need for food." She glanced down, tieing the long excess fabric of her shirt into a small knot.
"You're hungry?"
"Yes."
Fox
snorted. "Go eat something."
"Tell me his name first."
"Go eat something."

I've had a busy week, but I needed to get this out there and move on, though there are a few things I know need to be edited and switched around yet. I have a really hot piece hopefully coming out tomorrow night. Don't want to slow down and kill the vibe.
Cap, I didn't even know you were capable of staying up this late XD

Cap, I didn't even know you were capable of staying up this late XD
So tired I forgot to even taaaggg 💀💀💀

I do not like the ending analysis paragraph. Like, the moment he starts talking about Harper is the moment my brain starts to go. The rest is fine for now, tho.

I'm dead serious, the one I'm cooking up right now is prrretty cool.

Alright, alright.
Y'all.
I love this so much.
Because it flows so hard.
And morals are so important.
And Tobias is just fire.

Harper was our last member. That's what Fox had told me. I was fine with that. She was kind, and funny. And she was capable, which comforted me. We had only one arena game to win (survive), to gain both mine and the SolarWing's freedom. I needed all the odds in my favor.

Harper had left ten minutes ago after a brief conversation with Julius.

I sat with my head between my knees as Fox massaged and rolled out tight muscles up my back, which were steadily growing worse, and I was beginning to feel rather concerned. Fox was experienced, and his kneading fingers, albeit painful, certainly eased the aches.

"I'm leavin this weekend." He told me. "Business trip."

We sat on the edge of the training ring, behind the thick, glass barrier, and I could hear Sol pacing as he searched for an exit. He could see me.

"How long?" I asked, my voice muffled as I rested my forehead against my wrists, which I had positioned atop my knees.

"Three days at most. If I leave in the morning I'll get back Saturday night."

I glanced up at the SolarWing, who stopped pacing when he caught my eye. Fox pushed my head back down.

"You'll train with Harper while I'm gone." He said, and I flinched as his fingers expertly dug into my shoulder blade, releasing pinched muscles.

"What will I be doing?"

Fox repositioned himself, clearing his throat. "Mostly dying, pal, I'm gonna be honest with you, but Harper will help. You're going to be sore here for a good three to five days yet."

I reached up to drag fingers through my hair. Even my hands were aching. "Sounds manageable."

Fox chuckled softly. "You've done well with all this, Tobe. I'm glad. Lots of potential, from both you and Sol."

"Potential you hope to bring to the fullest in under three weeks." I muttered, shifting my weight to counter Fox's pushing fingers.

"Aye. Sol's built for it. We just gotta channel that energy into something other than fear."

"In three weeks," I scoffed.

"Three weeks, Tobe." He jostled my shoulder. "Don't be so pessimistic."

"I'm a realist." I said, my voice still muffled.

Fox laughed. "Nah, you're actually just depressing. Don't let Sol build off of that now, right?"

He had a fair point, Sol would absolutely feed off of my emotions. He was learning from me in every possible way. Yet there was a lack of optimism to be grasped.

Fox clapped my shoulder with the palm of his hand. "Alright, get up." His hands left my back, and I sighed, grateful for the pain he had eased, though I did not yet make any move to stand.

"What sort of thing will I be doing in the arena, Fox?"

"What do you mean?" He asked.

I looked down and hesitated. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. "Will I be killing people?"

Fox watched me, I could feel his gaze. "Maybe. If you want to live."

I gave a bitter laugh, "So are you threatening me?"

"The arena is the biggest threat you'll ever face. There's a mindset."

"Kill or be killed." I recited.

"Right on, kid."

I looked up. "I don't think I can kill a man, Fox."

He turned to watch Sol, hands in pockets. He was quiet for a little while. "Tobias, there comes a point in life where a man gotta make a decision. Now I ain't gonna force nothin on you. It's up to you. Totally and completely. But you gotta get your morals straight before you walk into that arena." He rocked on his heels and I didn't say anything. Finally he said, "Would you kill to protect?"

I hesitated. "Yes."

"Would you kill to protect Sol? Would you kill to protect me?"

I hesitated again. "Yes."

"And there you have it."

"No." I started, looking down. "It's different. In the arena, it's different."

Fox turned slowly on his heel and looked down at me. "How so, Tobe?"

"Because we're… because we're forced. To do it. To kill."

"Mm." Fox raised a hand to rub his chin. "So the problem's killin' for sport?"

I tried to get my thoughts straightened. "Maybe."

"You think all killin' wrong, Tobe?"

I bit my lip. "No."

"You think the sort of sport killin is wrong?"

I shook my head. "I don't know. I think… everyone can make a decision for themselves." I paused, re-evaluating my words. "I think that it's wrong to kill a man." I shook my head again, revamped by a sudden burst of thought. Fox let me continue with an air of patience. "I think it's wrong to take a man's life. For sport. When we're all thrown at each other, all forced to hack away till one dead-souled individual remains."

"But not all killin is wrong?"

"No." I agreed. "Killing to protect is different."

Fox looked a bit flustered. "Wull, then, you'd kill for Sol in the arena."

"No, I wouldn't. That's murder."

"How so?" A vicious question.

"Because we're pitted up against one another, Fox. We're forced into it. Into killing innocents."

"Tobe, I'm dang certain ain't none of those contenders be innocents."

"They've done nothing against me. It's not my death penalty to issue."

Fox's brow arched, and he sighed. I could practically feel him wanting to drop the subject. "You're a little complicated, you know that?"

I shrugged with an air of indifference. I was beginning to write my own morals. Morals Fox did not possess.

"Killin is killin whether you think so or not. Whether both parties agree. It was their actions that brought them there. Some train all their life to become a gladiator. Some get stuck in the wrong prison. Regardless of situation, in a way they all chose to fight. They all chose to die in the arena. It was their previous actions that brought them here."

My previous actions should have in no way trapped me in this position.

I looked past Fox, my gaze on the SolarWing. "I shouldn't be here." I whispered. "I really shouldn't."

He sighed and shook his head. "You are incredibly fortunate to be with me, Tobe."

"I know it."

"I don't want you to die, Tobe."

"I don't want to die."

Fox offered his hand, and I took it, my expression rueful. He pulled me painfully to my feet. I winced and fell back a step so that I could lean against the wall.

"We'll be alright, Tobe." Fox crossed his arms, and his blue eyes met mine. "We got him," He pointed a thumb towards Sol, and I couldn't help but laugh in a prominent tone of bitterness. Fox joined me, although he did not sound as sour. He shook his head and grinned at me. "If you aim to survive, you will."

"Really?" I sighed.

"Absolutely." He winked. "I ain't joking bout that SolarWing, either. If you can win that dangerous side of him over, Tobe, I'm telling you, ain't nothing can compete." He took a deep breath. "And Tobe- you ain't here to compete. It's'not why I brought you in." Fox paused.

"To win over the SolarWing, then?" I said. "So you can use him."

"That, aye. But we need a medic."

I tensed, then nodded. That would work, too. It would work fine. "I can treat both humans and dragons."

Fox grinned. "I knowed it, too. You're smart like that, Tobe."

I held his gaze for a moment, our previous conversation still weighing heavy. Then I smiled and looked away as I shook my head. "Ahh, I'm so getting killed." It was a joke.

Fox walked up and gripped my shoulder, pushing me towards the exit doorway. "Chances are I do it if you don't drop the pessimism."

I sighed, my breath laced with soft laughter. "I'm a realist."

Reading this just... Makes me happy because it feels so natural. Ahhh.

Alright, alright.
Y'all.
I love this so much.
And Tobias is just fire.

Harper was our last member. That's what Fox had told me. I was fine with that. She was kind, and funny. And she was capable, which comforted me. We had only one arena game to win (survive), to gain both mine and the SolarWing's freedom. I needed all the odds in my favor.

I sat with my head between my knees as Fox massaged and rolled out tight muscles up my back, which were steadily growing worse, and I was beginning to feel rather concerned. Fox was experienced, and his kneading fingers, albeit painful, certainly eased the aches.

We sat on the edge of the training ring, behind the thick, glass barrier, and I could hear Sol pacing as he searched for an exit. He could see me.

"How long?" I asked, my voice muffled as I rested my forehead against my wrists, which I had positioned atop my knees.

I glanced up at the SolarWing, who stopped pacing when he caught my eye. Fox pushed my head back down.

"You'll train with Harper while I'm gone." He said, and I flinched as his fingers expertly dug into my shoulder blade, releasing pinched muscles.

"What will I be doing?"

Fox repositioned himself, clearing his throat. "Mostly dying, pal, I'm gonna be honest with you, but Harper will help. You're going to be sore here for a good three to five days yet."

I reached up to drag fingers through my hair. Even my hands were aching. "Sounds manageable."

Fox chuckled softly. "You've done well with all this, Tobe. I'm glad. Lots of potential, from both you and Sol."

"Potential you hope to bring to the fullest in under three weeks." I muttered, shifting my weight to counter Fox's pushing fingers.

"Aye. Sol's built for it. We just gotta channel that energy into something other than fear."

Fox laughed. "Nah, you're actually just depressing. Don't let Sol build off of that now, right?"

He had a fair point, Sol would absolutely feed off of my emotions. He was learning from me in every possible way. Yet there was a lack of optimism to be grasped.

Fox clapped my shoulder with the palm of his hand. "Alright, get up." His hands left my back, and I sighed, grateful for the pain he had eased, though I did not yet make any move to stand.

I looked down and hesitated. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. "Will I be killing people?"

"Right on, kid."

He turned to watch Sol, hands in pockets. He was quiet for a little while. "Tobias, there comes a point in life where a man gotta make a decision. Now I ain't gonna force nothin on you. It's up to you. Totally and completely. But you gotta get your morals straight before you walk into that arena." He rocked on his heels and I didn't say anything. Finally he said, "Would you kill to protect?"

I hesitated. "Yes."

"And there you have it."

I bit my lip. "No."

I shook my head. "I don't know. I think… everyone can make a decision for themselves." I paused, re-evaluating my words. "I think that it's wrong to kill a man." I shook my head again, revamped by a sudden burst of thought. Fox let me continue with an air of patience. "I think it's wrong to take a man's life. For sport. When we're all thrown at each other, all forced to hack away till one dead-souled individual remains."

"Because we're pitted up against one another, Fox. We're forced into it. Into killing innocents."

Fox's brow arched, and he sighed. I could practically feel him wanting to drop the subject. "You're a little complicated, you know that?"

I shrugged with an air of indifference. I was beginning to write my own morals. Morals Fox did not possess.

"Killin is killin whether you think so or not. Whether both parties agree. It was their actions that brought them there. Some train all their life to become a gladiator. Some get stuck in the wrong prison. Regardless of situation, in a way they all chose to fight. They all chose to die in the arena. It was their previous actions that brought them here."

I looked past Fox, my gaze on the SolarWing. "I shouldn't be here." I whispered. "I really shouldn't."

He sighed and shook his head. "You are incredibly fortunate to be with me, Tobe."

"I know it."

"I don't want to die."

Fox offered his hand, and I took it, my expression rueful. He pulled me painfully to my feet. I winced and fell back a step so that I could lean against the wall.

"We'll be alright, Tobe." Fox crossed his arms, and his blue eyes met mine. "We got him," He pointed a thumb towards Sol, and I couldn't help but laugh in a prominent tone of bitterness. Fox joined me, although he did not sound as sour. He shook his head and grinned at me. "If you aim to survive, you will."

"Really?" I sighed.

"Absolutely." He winked. "I ain't joking bout that SolarWing, either. If you can win that dangerous side of him over, Tobe, I'm telling you, ain't nothing can compete." He took a deep breath. "And Tobe- you ain't here to compete. It's'not why I brought you in." Fox paused.

I tensed, then nodded. That would work, too. It would work fine. "I can treat both humans and dragons."

I held his gaze for a moment, our previous conversation still weighing heavy. Then I smiled and looked away as I shook my head. "Ahh, I'm so getting killed." It was a joke.

Fox walked up and gripped my shoulder, pushing me towards the exit doorway. "Chances are I do it if you don't drop the pessimism."

And I'm too tired to remember tags again, ah, UGH- @-Kiwi- @-Shade-

"I know." I said.
"It was a test."

"Have you taken it?"
"Five days."

"Take the meat, Sol."
"Right now, Sol."
"Daily."
"Ah, shut up, Julius."
She walked towards us and her dark skin glinted in the bright lights. Black marks stained her arms, disappearing beneath her sleeveless shirt, and as she drew nearer I realized they were tattoos. Rows and rows of words looped around her forearms and shoulders, the ink faded and stretched. It was strange.
Her eyes studied Sol as she approached. "Now-... Wow. That's a dragon, Fox. That's quite a dragon."
He nodded and looked at me.
I smiled and looked down.

Alright, alright.
Y'all.
I love this so much.
And Tobias is just fire.

"What will I be doing?"

"Right on, kid."

I hesitated. "Yes."

"And there you have it."

I bit my lip. "No."

"I know it."

"I don't want to die."

"Really?" I sighed.

Bot these pieces are amazing
I love the build-up, we aren't just getting dropped into the climax and it's all flowing and creating suspense
Slay Queen, slay

Sunspot blinked at Shard. “Small dragon. I have known everyone here for only a few days. I went from living my peaceful life out alone to being here. This is ABSOLUTE MADNESS. I don’t know any of you. I don’t know if Eclipse has ever hated anyone." she huffed, a ring of smoke puffing out around her snout.

"I don't even know what im doing here," she muttered. "I should just leave."
Shard dipped her head nervously, her ears pinning against the sides of her head as she shrunk beneath Sunspot's words.
"Don't leave," she breathed quietly. "I want you to stay. I really want you to stay."
The dragonet glanced back anxiously as the human on the other side of the bunker started to speak, the words sounding strange from his high-pitched voice.
"Get out. Everyone get out. There are many places for dragons to stay. This room is not one of them. Let me work in peace."
Shard turned back to Sunspot, waiting for the Solarwing's reaction.

@-Kiwi-

Ferrin turned to corner, and froze in the doorway.
All eyes turned to him. He looked at Sol, then to Tobias.
"Get out. Everyone get out."
Sol cocked his head, lowering his heated wing. He met Ferrin's eyes, and Ferrin stared back with piercing intensity. Sol instinctually dropped his gaze, then blinked.
"Get out." Ferrin repeated.
Sol brushed against Eclipse, nudging her towards the doorway.
"There are many places for dragons to stay." Ferrin said. "This room is not one of them. Let me work in peace."
Sol lowered his head and continued through the doorway, slipping past Ferrin. His heart hammered within his chest. It hurt.

A
G
H

@-Shade-

Helios’ remark startled Shrike out of his trance, and he blinked several times to bring his thoughts to the current situation. The CloudWing’s eyes narrowed, and he suddenly realized that he’d been barring his teeth.
“Do you know who Sol is?” Shrike questioned roughly.
Helios raised a scaly eyebrow, looking the cloudwing in the eyes. “Of course, Sol is my son.” He replied, resettling his wings. A voice ordered them out of the room and helios swiveled his head around to see another human entering the room. Helios picked Archer up and walked out of the room begrudgingly, becoming irritated with having to follow the orders of humans. He turned to the cloudwing, who was being accompanied by a burly leafwing, after everyone had exited the room. “Who are you?”

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom