Of Feathers And Flames- A Wings of Fire AU RP

Sol tripped, catching himself with a deep wince. "Well. Your connection may be of more assistance than you think."
"How soon would we leave?" Tobias asked, his breathy words laced with the sound of a smile as he moved into the hall, holding his bad arm tight to his stomach.
"I don't know," the SolarWing grunted, heaving Shard across the chalky floor. "We can take our time."
Tobias took a heavy breath, feeling the morphine as it slowly wore away. "Are you waiting on me, then?"
Sol's talons popped across the stained concrete, and he ducked into the hall with silence.
"I can't go there, Sol."
"We could figure it out."
"There's not a point."
Sol glanced up at the short, shadowed ceiling, "Why."
"Because I'm human," Tobias turned back on his heel again, and Sol stiffened at the man's strained expression. "I can't benefit you there. You won't need me." He spoke in a jarring, rushed way, and only Sol could hear the faint trepidation. Tobias turned away.
Sol tilted his head, feeling a scowl creep into his tight jaw. "I don't need you to turn arena bets, Tobe, I need you to exist, and prove again that impossible isn't impossible. They need to see a dragon walk with a man. And a LunarWing," he glanced towards Eclipse, "to see a LunarWing walk with their King, and their Prince,"
"Oh, gosh," Tobias whispered, glancing at Eclipse, "I forgot about that. We'll be disrupting every single SolarWing rivaly."
Sol's eyes lingered on the silver dragon, and he grimaced at the truth of Tobias's words. Maybe he wasn't ready for this. To be making decisions on behalf of himself and a sickly man who could only state the obvious. Shame worked its course through his swift mind.
Sol's wings tensed and he released a growling cough, Shard's tiny, grading talons slipping their way beneath his scales. He slid Shard to the right and pinned her against the wall, mindful of the warmth his prodded scales released. "Rivalries that should have been distrupted years ago," he said, shaking his wings out as the dragonet clambered with excitement. "It's the same cause we've pursued in these last weeks, only in a different format. Everyone here is absolutely vital."
Eclipse nodded, her gaze trailing down the hallway to stare ahead unfocused.
"The tribes are divided- amongst other tribes and amongst each other. It has made them weak. Without unity, there will be no chance at victory. If we can make them see that, we may stand a chance." She paused.
Shard grunted and pushed Sol's tail away from her before wrapping tiny forearms around it and rolling it over with her. Her back talons batted against the thick scales as she wrestled, letting out a playful growl.
"They have to know that there are humans willing to fight for us as well. This isn't a conflict between species, it is a conflict of right and wrong. There is darkness in both dragons and humans."
The Lunarwing dropped her gaze to Tobias.
"You, Sol, Helios- even me. I believe that we can show them. We have to. "

Eclipse nodded, her gaze trailing down the hallway to stare ahead unfocused.
"The tribes are divided- amongst other tribes and amongst each other. It has made them weak. Without unity, there will be no chance at victory. If we can make them see that, we may stand a chance." She paused.
Shard grunted and pushed Sol's tail away from her before wrapping tiny forearms around it and rolling it over with her. Her back talons batted against the thick scales as she wrestled, letting out a playful growl.
"They have to know that there are humans willing to fight for us as well. This isn't a conflict between species, it is a conflict of right and wrong. There is darkness in both dragons and humans."
The Lunarwing dropped her gaze to Tobias.
"You, Sol, Helios- even me. I believe that we can show them. We have to. "
Tobias held her eye for a slow moment, then glanced toward Sol. "She's right."
"Always." Sol twisted his tail round the dragonets freezing shoulders.
"What did Helios say about who else could come? Can we take the sick, the maimed?"
"I'm sure it would pass," Sol murmered, shivering as Shard floundered against his scales. "You need to rest."
"What's our total head count?"
Sol cringed, glancing at Eclipse, "Maybe... A hundred? Or.. two."

Tobias held her eye for a slow moment, then glanced toward Sol. "She's right."
"Always." Sol twisted his tail round the dragonets freezing shoulders.
"What did Helios say about who else could come? Can we take the sick, the maimed?"
"I'm sure it would pass," Sol murmered, shivering as Shard floundered against his scales. "You need to rest."
"What's our total head count?"
Sol cringed, glancing at Eclipse, "Maybe... A hundred? Or.. two."
The dragoness shrugged helplessly.
"I have no idea. Just... a lot. A lot of dragons. We've... lost some. Others have long since left, but-" she scoffed, shaking her head as she looked away. "I have no idea. No idea."
Her expression darkened further with worry, evoking a violent twitch from her tail. Shard's eyes locked on the movement, her body freezing with the exception of her thrashing tail, pausing in her wrestling with Sol.
"If I go to the Icewing's, it will take a while. I have to travel alone. I may have to leave sooner than I want to."

The dragoness shrugged helplessly.
"I have no idea. Just... a lot. A lot of dragons. We've... lost some. Others have long since left, but-" she scoffed, shaking her head as she looked away. "I have no idea. No idea."
Her expression darkened further with worry, evoking a violent twitch from her tail. Shard's eyes locked on the movement, her body freezing with the exception of her thrashing tail, pausing in her wrestling with Sol.
"If I go to the Icewing's, it will take a while. I have to travel alone. I may have to leave sooner than I want to."
"You're actually considering that?" Sol asked, his voice gentle as cocked his head, following Tobias into the compact, spartan room. "I doubt you can take an army of Ice into the desert and expect to win."

"You're actually considering that?" Sol asked, his voice gentle as cocked his head, following Tobias into the compact, spartan room. "I doubt you can take an army of Ice into the desert and expect to win."
Eclipse groaned quietly.
"I don't know. There's a way, just... I don't want to do that 'way.'"
The Lunarwing growled.
"You're right, it probably won't work. I'll think of something else."
She dropped her gaze away, stopping still in the hall, and glancing unattentive toward Shard as the Icewing scrambled atop Sol's tail again.

----12 hours ago----

Desert sand blurred into the tainted pink horizon, Imperial dipping hesitantly toward the hazy line of Earth as the sun threatened the pre-dawn sky. The plain of mingled rocks and sand continued, the presence of caci and strangled dead bushes becoming more frequent, the desert growing sharper.
Whitestar swallowed hard, his throat scratching and aching with the motion, every attempt to ease the soreness only stinging it worse. The Icewing's mouth set slightly parted, his tongue sticking uncomfortably to the roof of his mouth. Wings beat unevenly on occasion, slowly, gradually bringing him closer to the ground as exhaustion ominously curled beneath the dry scales.
Far ahead, the neverending roll of torturous desert finally broke, faintly, a flick of dark shapes in the hazy light. The shadow of stubborn vegetation amongst the impossible land.
The Icewing only prayed it wasn't a mirage.

The second night cycle since leaving the checkpoint was coming to an end. Whitestar had only managed to find one other, small oasis the day after setting out. It had barely been anything more than a puddle, but it had been enough. At least then.
The desert had continued since, unbroken and merciless and he traveled less during the day if he could help it, trying to stick to the cool nights. But every hour that passed without any other signs of water only forced him to keep going. Either to try and make it to Possibility first, or by some turn of the fates, stumble upon another oasis.
The thought of using his power frequented his exhausted, heat-clouded mind, the constant need to shut the thoughts down only adding a note of overstimulation to the haze. And the haze in his mind had only continued to grow, building, blurring, spurred by the fever of relentless sun and scarcity of hydration.
Water. That was all he needed. And some stubbornness refused to let him create the option of his own will.

The uneven pulse of wings gave out finally as the ice dragon plunged into the heavenly, chilled oasis pool.
Whitestar coughed up a snoutful of water before sucking a deep breath and plunging his head and neck beneath the shallow surface. Engulfing, wonderfully cold liquid held him, seeped into every dry, cracked scale, sliding between them, pressing into his eyes, his wings, his everything. Everything was cool and soft and so, so, wet.
He resurfaced with a rough gasp, the inhale stinging his throat again and he plunged his face, mouth open, back into the pool, swallowing greedily at the life-blessed water.
He coughed, yanking his head into the open air again, water streaming from his eyes. The Icewing unfurled his wings, the soar spokes and webbing floating finally without use within the dark liquid. More coughs shook him, small enough to suppress as he drifted, watching the eastern horizon wearily, pale eyes clouded, unable to focus his gaze.

Possibility had to be close by now. There was no way for this desert to go on any longer- unless it never truly ended. Whitestar hadn't gone in any other direction except this one, and this one was not quite done going.
But he couldn't stop. Maybe an hour remained before sunrise, when the 'going' would come under the judgemental eye of the Sand Kingdom sun. He had to travel while the air was still cool.
The thought of staying at the oasis for a day danced on the outskirts of his mind. But the smoke of fever crowding his mind held it out, taunting the same relentless thoughts that had been for longer than he wanted to recount.
He couldn't bear to stop.

PaRaGrApHs- I am just speed-playing Whitestar right now, and it is still taking FOREVER to regain ground.
I will have him arrive at Night 10, since he is now a few hours behind Vel and co.

Oh boi….I wanna jump back in but idk where to start….

Let’s see, I have Dred, Rose, Helios, King and Knight.

Last I knew Helios was either headed for the Kingdom of Sun or waiting on Sols decision back at camp with the refugees.

Dred was learning to fly and trying to find a group of mudwings to join but feeling a small sense of loyalty to his companions from the Den, even if they hated him.
(I’m taking creative liberties yes lol)

Rose was either just dropped off at camp or in a that one dudes basement laboratory? Ugh I can’t remember but I feel like she was on her way to camp….right?

King and Knight are still in the Grebes Nest with phoenix.

Eclipse groaned quietly.
"I don't know. There's a way, just... I don't want to do that 'way.'"
The Lunarwing growled.
"You're right, it probably won't work. I'll think of something else."
She dropped her gaze away, stopping still in the hall, and glancing unattentive toward Shard as the Icewing scrambled atop Sol's tail again.
"Have you lot eaten yet?" Tobias asked, using the heel of his boot to drag out the worn supplement pack from beneath his cot. "There's food in first aid bin, there. Harper hid it. Don't eat too much or she'll notice."
Sol blew a quick scoffing breath, lugging Shard deeper into the room.
"It was on Monzy's orders," Tobias murmered, kneeling slowly to the ground. "They lost control over food."
"I'm alright, then," Sol glanced toward Eclipse, doming a massive wing over the IceWing's spiny head.
"Feed the kid, at least," Tobias said, looking down at the numb, clenched fingers of his right hand. "I don't know what we'll do when we run out. Is a hunting party out of question?"

Oh boi….I wanna jump back in but idk where to start….

Let’s see, I have Dred, Rose, Helios, King and Knight.

Last I knew Helios was either headed for the Kingdom of Sun or waiting on Sols decision back at camp with the refugees.

Dred was learning to fly and trying to find a group of mudwings to join but feeling a small sense of loyalty to his companions from the Den, even if they hated him.
(I’m taking creative liberties yes lol)

Rose was either just dropped off at camp or in a that one dudes basement laboratory? Ugh I can’t remember but I feel like she was on her way to camp….right?

King and Knight are still in the Grebes Nest with phoenix.
Yeah. I'd be epic if you joined, brother. I totally did boot Helios out, though, and he is heading towards the Kingdom of Sunnn.
Wherever THAT is.
Seriously, don't we have an oFaF tribes map?? I checked the archives and unless I'm hc trippin, there's nothing.

Back
Top Bottom