Off-Grid Incubator-Brooder-and Coop heater... RECYCLED HEAT

It is my understanding that temperature fluctuations during incubation can cause abnormalities and defects. I'm definitely not saying it's impossible, I'm just wondering how it would work, where I had trouble regulating temperature with a lightbulb and no thermostat in a DIY incubator.

Temperature consistency really is the name of the game. Im sure that this system will be able to heat the small area to or above the Hatching* temps. The next trick is balancing it out.
I imagine it was quite hard trying to balance your system without the use of thermometers!
Kusanar mentioned an egg turning design that could save some power to use else where, like a PC fan for exhaust connected to a module with a temperature controller on it. it would draw very little power, and only when the box is too hot. (I could set it to kick on at 100.1 and turn off at 99.2 to try and maintain that sweet zone. The real trick now is using multiple thermometers to make sure i have an accurate reading to dial those numbers in to near perfect).

Are you designing the incubator as well? If so, drill a hole in the side that you can put a wooden dowel through and push / pull the dowel to turn the eggs. If the hole is a close fit, you won't loose much air and what you do lose will be constant rather than abrupt like opening the box and wood is a decent insulator so shouldn't "pipe" cold in or heat out very much.

This is a great idea! Exactly the kind of input i was hoping for. I didn't exactly understand what you meant at first, (I'm visual as well) But i can picture it easy as pie now. The push or the pull of the dowel pushes and pulls the trays with its motion. Genius!

Interesting to say the least. I hope you build it.

Eta: I did use multiple thermometers as well, just no temperature regulating thermostat which would have made the whole process a lot easier, but another component which I don't see fitting into your design (my understanding of your design). But I still like it and wanna see you make this work.

Interesting to say the least. I hope you build it.

Thanks! I hope to get it figured out easy and cost effectively enough so that it could be viable for anyone! Especially those who are in unique situations. So far the diesel heater itself is the most costly part, and i hope to keep it that way. lol That being said, for some; These diesel heaters would be the most cost effective and use the least amount of power compared to other alternative heat sources.

So even if noones looking to hatch eggs, i urge to check those things out if youre interested in alternative heat. (And yes, some people do use these to heat basements, workshops, or small homes).

The drawing looks good, I would also add some heat sinks to help even out any fluctuations you have, so water, ceramic, bricks, etc, just something that can absorb heat and then release it when needed.

Back
Top Bottom