Ended Official 2020 BYC Halloween HAL Pumpkin Carving Contest!

I love growing pumpkins too, I make pies and we love the seeds!
We love to eat them (gourmet ones...not jack-o-latern ones) and trying different ways to roast the seeds. Cinnamon sugar pepitas and pumpkin seeds are really good. Though when I grew the hull-less pumpkins for pepitas I did not get a good yield.

What are your favorites to grow?

We love to eat them (gourmet ones...not jack-o-latern ones) and trying different ways to roast the seeds. Cinnamon sugar pepitas and pumpkin seeds are really good. Though when I grew the hull-less pumpkins for pepitas I did not get a good yield.

What are your favorites to grow?
The Early Sweet Sugar Pies do well out here, up at this altitude of 7,000 ft our growing season can be short. Great flavor! Lots of seeds too! I will have to try Cinnamon and Sugar on the seeds this year, sounds tasty! :drool

Seems alittle early for a pumpkin carving contest. I don't even have pumpkins ready for carving. We usually get pumpkins a few weeks before Halloween, & use the beginning of the last week to do the carvings before Halloween (our deadline).

It's never too early to get people excited about it right!
big smile.gif

I do some very detailed pumpkin carvings, I do both skin scrape carving, & carving. I free hand it.
Planning on it, once we get pumpkins, we're growing some too.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

The Early Sweet Sugar Pies do well out here, up at this altitude of 7,000 ft our growing season can be short. Great flavor! Lots of seeds too! I will have to try Cinnamon and Sugar on the seeds this year, sounds tasty! :drool
It is!!
I did Sugar Pies this year as my new garden (moved recently) isn't as big (yet) as my old garden, but some of our favs are Jarrahdales, Musquee de Provence, and Sweet Meat. I was able to grow all of those in zone 5a.
Now I'm in zone 6b/7a and having to re-figure many of my growing methods. Longer season here, but way more pests, fungus, and blights. 😐

It is!!
I did Sugar Pies this year as my new garden (moved recently) isn't as big (yet) as my old garden, but some of our favs are Jarrahdales, Musquee de Provence, and Sweet Meat. I was able to grow all of those in zone 5a.
Now I'm in zone 6b/7a and having to re-figure many of my growing methods. Longer season here, but way more pests, fungus, and blights. 😐

As far as sweet pie pumkins that are for eating and not necessarily decoration I've had much better luck with the less attractive but flavorful Seminole pumpkin here in Georgia, zone 8b. They're resistant to vine borers. Excellent Downy Mildew resistance; a good choice for hot, humid, disease-prone areas.

Back
Top Bottom