Ended Official BYC Coop Article Contest - 2017 - Win a Auto Coop Door Kit!

Here is our entry! We have been dying to get an automatic door - and have been meaning to share all of the pictures of our coop building project! What good timing :celebrate We converted an old metal storage shed into a coop for our 10 ladies. These are our first chickens and we are so happy with how our coop turned out!! Thanks for your consideration! https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/happy-dog-hills-happy-hen-hotel.72968/ :fl

An important reminder:

As a way to deter spammers, we require that new members have at least a couple of posts in our community forum before they have access to create an article. We suggest that all new members start a simple “introduction” thread and/or reply to a few other threads. At that point they’ll automatically have access to the feature to create a coop page.

Here’s the direct link to create a new introduction thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/create-thread

Here is our coop. It was built between July and December of 2016. We have our first chickens enjoying it now!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-muñoz-coop.72595/

Thanks to all of the great designs already on this website, I was able to avoid a lot of regrets I might of had if I built the coop with no references. However, here are a few things I've learned since having chickens occupy.

- I should've built in drainage for bad rain before putting the gravel in. Since it would be a monstrous task to do so now, instead I added French drainage on all 4 sides of the coop and this has solved the saturation problem with the sand after a big rain.

- Also due to strong rain, I was getting water into the nesting boxes at the hinge joint and where the lid sealed. To fix this, I purchased some self-stick door sweep for cheap at the hardware store and cut it to overlap the hinge area. I then used some 1/2 inch wood strips underneath the lid to overlap the box and this has prevented water from seeping in the sides.

- The water container I use for the chickens was a gift. While it serves its purpose, a lot of water gets knocked out and saturates the ground. I plan to get a 5 gallon food grade bucket and install nipples for them next month.

- Inside the coop, I was having issues with bedding falling out the doors when I opened them, so I took some extra 1x4's and cut them to create a barrier that keeps that from happening, but can also easily be removed when I want to change the bedding.

- Also inside the coop, the nesting boxes I built are pretty large. To create some more privacy, I used some extra fabric and put in curtains.

- Lastly, I did not realize how much the chickens would dig in the sand. I only have about 2-3 inches of sand on top of the gravel. They constantly dig through the sand, the fabric barrier, and into the rocks to pull them up. I simply need to get some more sand to fill the coop more.

- Otherwise, I have been extremely satisfied with the coop and hope I do not notice and major changes I want in the near future. Most of the materials I used in my build were purchased new at the hardware store. However, I was able to find a lot of scrap lumber for free that was extremely useful. Additionally, I did not realize how many staples and screws I would go through for this project. If you are on a budget, make sure you really plan out every single item. I wanted our coop and run to have a very specific look and was willing to spend the extra money to do so. However, I have seen a lot of amazing coops made out of used furniture, wood pallets, and more. Have fun with it and make it your own!

My coop was built and designed by my fiance' and me 7 months ago. It is 13'Lx11'Wx7'H. We used pressure-treated wood, cemented into the ground, with cattle grade fencing all the way around and across the roof, sunk 1 foot into the ground all the way around to avoid escapees and making it completely predator proof. We have solar light ropes around the inside parameter and also chicken-wire enclosed bulb light stringers, a bug zapper, mister, and two circulating fans. Both sides of the coop have high, large pallet-sized roosting areas, roosting bars, a separate enclosure for quarantine of new flock members/chicks, and 11 personalized nesting boxes. Heat/Weather resistant tarps cover roof and all four sides of coop,which can be raised/lowered depending on weather conditions on any given day. The coop contains two 3 gallon self-waters and two 3-gallon self-feeders. The floor is dirt allowing easy daily clean-up, and plenty of room for dust bathing. I have 11 hens and 1 rooster. Total dimension of coop is 147 sq.ft.
DSCN0755.JPG

DSCN0736.JPG

Here's my coop Tug-boat Tikka Masala, tractor coop article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/tug-boat-tikka-masala.72839/

I edited/updated my original article from the one I made about 3 weeks ago.
I'd be grateful if someone could let me know if my article has sufficient information to qualify for the coop contest and I've posted on the right page.
I have tried my best for creating the article. Hope you enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_20170701_162956427.jpg
    IMG_20170701_162956427.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
This sounds amazing! I really need an automatic coop door, especially living in two places, it would be very easing for the mind to know that my birds are safely closed up each night!

My family and I started our journey into the world of chickens with two ideas. Recycle as much as possible be green as possible. We started with a kids play house and my kids old trampoline. After a week the play house wasn't cutting it,the chickens were fine, but it was tuff to get in and clean. Coop started life as a 4x4x4 and after the addition it is now 8x7x6. After a few days I decided to cut the door and make it like a double horse door. For the run I used the trampoline but after a few months of rain I relised my first roof design wasn't working. I researched yurts and based my roof design off of my research on yurts. Before I tackled the roof I added 2 solar lights 13$ each. Then added a 120$ solar panel to charge my three battery's. The junk yard gave me the three batteries for 10$ I then added a 12volt inverter to power my fan in the coop.

Attachments

• IMG_2707.JPG
    IMG_2707.JPG
    837.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2794.JPG
    IMG_2794.JPG
    595.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2795.JPG
    IMG_2795.JPG
    619.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2796.JPG
    IMG_2796.JPG