Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 38 5.5%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 154 22.4%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 41 6.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 78 11.4%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • No - Never

Votes: 208 30.3%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 129 18.8%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 25 3.6%

• Total voters
After spending a lifetime working in a laboratory animal facility, I developed a sensitivity to several animal danders - especially rabbits, rats, mice and guinea pigs. This sensitivity also showed up to pigeon dander. Being fully aware of 'Pigeon Lung' disease I always used a Scott dual canister device when working with my birds. Better safe than sorry.

I try to avoid the “after effects” of the total clean-outs, because it causes respiratory issues (even infections). Before I even start clean-outs, I make sure to take my allergy medicine. I wear an N95 mask when I deep clean, because I have environmental allergies to begin with (like many people do). And, I even will wear goggles when I know the dust is going to be really flying, because I don’t want to deal with dust in my eyes either.

My over-the-top friendly chickens rub themselves all over my face given the opportunity. Right after they've had a dust bath is one of their favorite times for that. They might like it if I wore one of them over my face to clean, but I don't think that counts as a mask and I can't really claim to be careful about exposure to things while also having acidentally snorted rooster tail feathers right up my nose...more than once.

Humor aside, I do keep on top of cleaning and try to minimize dust accumulation in enclosued chicken areas. I feel like excessive particulates in a relatively enclosed space can't be good for them or me. The areas I clean are not in contact with the ground. If I see too much dust during the daily clean, I scoop up and rotate that area of material out into the run where it can compost and have better air circulation if the dust is kicked around. I do have to remove material from my runs once or twice a year, but usually the times of year when I'm doing that there's been so much rain there's no noticable dust from it.

Oh my goodness that’s awful! Sorry to hear that! Yes, something like that would certainly teach you to mask up! My husband has cystic fibrosis, I don’t even really like him being in the coop to visit the birds, let alone when I do any kind of cleaning, because I worry about him.
Here too, I clean the coop and do most (not all) of the handling of our birds. Hubby has COPD. I don’t mind since no one will do as good a job as myself 🤦🏻‍♀️ but I let him pick up dog 💩 😂

My father died from COPD, so I have been aware of risks since I was a kid. Sawdust is a carcinogen, so wearing a good respirator should be necessary. Birds can spread disease in their poop, so that should be thought of. Every time I clean in the coop and run, I think about this, but often it isn't so much a planned cleaning as an opportunistic one. Because my chickens don't live at my house, I can't just run inside and grab a mask, so I usually hold my breath and run out of the area often. Thank you for the reminder, @RebelEgger . I will put a box of masks in my car!

I wear a cloth mask only when I do my deep clean twice a year - when I shovel everything out and replace all of the shavings. I wear a mask because of the dust. If I don't wear anything, I can feel myself breathing it in, I start wheezing and coughing and it's really unpleasant. Also, the thought of pulverized chicken 💩 going into my lungs is just disgusting. I don't do any other cleaning between the biennial deep cleans though, so I don't wear a mask outside of the deep cleans. I don't have a poop board to be scooped. I just do the deep bedding method (not deep litter) and periodically add more fresh shavings on top, but that doesn't produce a lot of dust. Day to day, I only go into the coop to collect eggs or refill the feeder as necessary, and don't need a mask for that.

Back
Top Bottom