Official BYC Poll: Do You Wear a Mask or Respirator When Cleaning Your Coop?

Do you wear a mask or respirator when cleaning your coop?

• Yes - Everytime I'm in the coop!

Votes: 38 5.5%
  • Yes - Only when doing a deep clean

Votes: 154 22.4%
  • Yes - Whenever I scoop or scrape off the poop board

Votes: 41 6.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 78 11.4%
  • I used to, but I don't anymore

Votes: 13 1.9%
  • No - Never

Votes: 208 30.3%
  • No - Is that something I'm supposed to do????

Votes: 129 18.8%
  • Other - Please elaborate

Votes: 25 3.6%

• Total voters
I don't wear anything, though I probably should. Depending on the cleaning (deep litter, monthly summer clean, dusting, etc.), I sometimes have to step out for fresh air. Spring cleanout is usually pretty rough. Adding shavings can be rough too, as it sometimes has a lot of dust.
I know it’s gone too long if I have to get out of the coop for a clean breath - it happens though.
My own experience years ago - that birds like geese and poultry carry histoplasmosis and ringworm from droppings. Most humans who are exposed don’t get sick, it’s a risk. For me, it’s more important to thoroughly wash my hands afterwards - even a minor bout of Campylobacter will convince the inexperienced.

Last edited:
I poo pick every day so bad air issues don't arise.

If you need to wear a mask or other face covering when you're in the place you keep your chickens, spare a thought for your chickens having to breathe it in all the time. Small wonder there are so many posts about respiratory issues here.

Edited to add, or if your eyes get itchy, don't you think your chickens' eyes might too? Is it OK with you to leave them like that?

I clean the coop daily so there isn't much in the way of dander and dust. A coop like this means at worst one is exposed to a very small amount of dust when cleaning.
I really don't want chickens living in a dusty environment that I need a mask to work in. If the dust is bad for me then it's bad for the chickens as well.
If I had a large walk in coop I would definitely wear a mask.
P2280459.JPG
P7281572.JPG

Back
Top Bottom