Official BYC Poll: How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

How Do You Keep Your Coop Smelling Fresh?

• I keep things as dry as possible inside the coop

Votes: 266 66.0%
  • I use lime on my coop floors

Votes: 38 9.4%
  • I've installed a box fan for air circulation

Votes: 38 9.4%
  • I hang fragrant herbs such as basil, mint, lavender, etc around the coop

Votes: 57 14.1%
  • I regularly clean out anything that is soiled or moist

Votes: 230 57.1%
  • My coop is well-ventilated

Votes: 252 62.5%
  • I use Sweet PDZ Coop Refresher in the coop

Votes: 96 23.8%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 14.1%

• Total voters
In case this hasn’t already been mentioned, Sweet PDZ coop refresher, sold in the poultry aisle, is the same product as Sweet PDZ stall refresher, sold in the equine aisle for a whole lot less. In this example below, the poultry product is $3. 60 per lb as opposed to 44¢ a lb for the equine product.
EB1A331C-4394-477D-BCD2-26EA5D315073.jpeg 41CC364F-A790-4543-95AA-2BE612028364.jpeg

In case this hasn’t already been mentioned, Sweet PDZ coop refresher, sold in the poultry aisle, is the same product as Sweet PDZ stall refresher, sold in the equine aisle for a whole lot less. In this example below, the poultry product is $3. 60 per lb as opposed to 44¢ a lb for the equine product.
View attachment 2854078View attachment 2854079
I use this, but do I need to worry about my chickens eating it?

Yes! I buy the horse stall size and it lasts forever for a fraction of the cost. It's like buying bulk. We don't use it outside of the brooder except for under night roosts on the roosting board.

Hi, everybody! I keep my coop fresh using mugwort and lavender that grow with wild abandon in my yard. Every morning I take the hoe to the coop, moving all the spikes litter around into the clean litter, and every couple of weeks I throw in some lavender and mugwort. I dry some for the winter. It’s free, and it works great! Good luck

what do ya’ll have underneath your bedding/litter? For example, i have plywood and stapled linoleum and about 4inches hemp. What is your opinion? They only sleep in the coop. Should I be concerned with the linoleum?
Thanks! 🐥❤️
I have a sheet of linoleum over the plywood but left unattached so I can check for bugs and or clean under it. I also put dry stall and some diatomaceous earth under it in hopes of keeping it as dry and clean as possible. So far it’s working ( now I feel like I should knock on wood). I like the flooring because if any droppings get on it ,it’s easy to clean.

Yes! I buy the horse stall size and it lasts forever for a fraction of the cost. It's like buying bulk. We don't use it outside of the brooder except for under night roosts on the roosting board.
Our environment is extremely humid year-round, so I’ll throw a bag or two in the sand inside the covered run every year or so just to keep it from smelling. Otherwise, I just use PDZ mixed with some sand on the poop decks (my alpha hen refuses to walk on “just” the PDZ… she’s hysterical when she tries to get where she wants to go without touching the white lava!).

B231751A-6C74-4232-902C-8A75163FE8EB.jpeg

Where do you purchase these equine bags of PDZ?

Back
Top Bottom