Official BYC Poll: How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

How Important Is It That You Get Eggs From Your Chickens?

• Very Important

Votes: 109 25.5%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 119 27.9%
  • Not Important

Votes: 26 6.1%
  • It's a Nice Benefit

Votes: 156 36.5%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 17 4.0%

• Total voters
Pics
I'm too new to know what the future holds. We originally ordered chickens for eggs, so I would say they are pretty important. While researching on here, I read about what great pets they are, and began to look forward to the personalities we would encounter when they arrived. They did not disappoint! I wired the coop to provide supplemental lighting, but I haven't decided if I'll use it yet. I haven't decided about culling or rehoming either, luckily I have lots of time.

Eggs are very important and I definitely wouldn’t raise chickens if it weren’t for eggs. However I don’t buy production breeds or use artificial lighting. I just got rid of some older girls, (4 yrs) mainly because they were meanies, and I’m concentrating on another breed now.
But I have a 5 year old hen who gets to stay even tho she slowed egg production, because she’s a dear old soul who doesn’t bother anyone.

The eggs are real important to me, dark coloured yolks and taste that is otherwise expensive to obtain. I like the feed efficiency of the hybrid egg layers. I enjoy being able to sell extra eggs and easily pay their feed costs. the hens are run in a tractor to reduce feed costs and for the cultivating, pest control, weeding, and fertilizing services. I want eggs but their work in my garden, nursery and orchard has been a bigger payoff than I originally anticipated. My current ISA Browns lay a lot of eggs but sometimes they don’t. When they don’t I wonder why but it never seems to last more than a day. Those other services they provide means I will continue to feed them very willingly. And they are great company while I am out working in the garden.

I voted very important, however I do mix heritage and production breeds. I do use artificial light both for egg production and to keep them up long enough in the winter to eat enough food. With no light, they wouldn't get off the roost until after 8am and would be back on it around 3pm. They burn a lot of energy staying warm during our northern MN nights. I'm not going to keep free loaders. Chicken math has to work both ways.

I keep chickens for eggs only, currently.. Have raised chickens for meat and or for meat and eggs.. Eggs are a protein source when all other sources are no longer available.. Till 'THEY' come for your BYC.. Fido and Kitty.. Then you. We are a bunch of weirdos.. Of which I may be king, seems I have all the votes here. I can't take a life anymore.. long history. So if I must, the Amish do a fine job for change. Those that keep chickens as pets are the weirdest, you are in good company. Have had a pet chicken because of a daughter, that thought itself people.. and would set in your lap and was house broken.. Weird. Never give up, hunker down. Crack an Egg or go home.

Last edited:
I'm too new to know what the future holds. We originally ordered chickens for eggs, so I would say they are pretty important. While researching on here, I read about what great pets they are, and began to look forward to the personalities we would encounter when they arrived. They did not disappoint! I wired the coop to provide supplemental lighting, but I haven't decided if I'll use it yet. I haven't decided about culling or rehoming either, luckily I have lots of time.
Have never done artificial lighting.. nor heat unless chicks, and like chicks. Chickens only have so many eggs.. Give em' a rest. Preserve during plenty so you do not have famine during lack... Personalities for certain, from Big Mamma like the Pied Piper when I could Free Range.. Have one I doctored, think I stepped on her foot. Now I have a friend which follows me like a puppy and don't let out the puppies because they just run for the hills.. but this Barred Rock sticks close. I can even pet her. She thinks herself special, and even sometimes let her eat out of the bucket before I dump it in the bowl. My fault I'm sure..

Back
Top Bottom