Official BYC Poll - How Many Square Feet Per Chicken?

How many square feet do you CURRENTLY have per chicken?

Votes: 7 1.4%

Votes: 38 7.8%

Votes: 57 11.7%

Votes: 75 15.4%

Votes: 34 7.0%

Votes: 30 6.2%

Votes: 24 4.9%

Votes: 21 4.3%

Votes: 12 2.5%

Votes: 37 7.6%
  • 11 +

Votes: 152 31.2%

• Total voters
Coincidently, my set up is about the same, right up to the chain-link fence. Our "sleeping quarters" = 3 ft/per chicken, the enclosed run is about 5 ft/per, and when we are home to monitor their activities, they can free-range to their hearts' content in our 24 ft x 50 ft back yard. (which, by the way, no longer has any lawn left...) Come spring, I hope to add an exterior nest box to the "sleeping quarters," in order to reclaim 2 sqare feet of interior space. They really felt "cooped up" (no pun intended) during the three or four hurricane and/or snow days, we had this past fall and winter. Our next challenge will be to find a super-mutant grass seed that will grow literally over night, so the girls don't eat or scratch it all up before it ever gets a chance to get established. (as if....)

mm
Let me know if you succeed!

Coincidently, my set up is about the same, right up to the chain-link fence. Our "sleeping quarters" = 3 ft/per chicken, the enclosed run is about 5 ft/per, and when we are home to monitor their activities, they can free-range to their hearts' content in our 24 ft x 50 ft back yard. (which, by the way, no longer has any lawn left...) Come spring, I hope to add an exterior nest box to the "sleeping quarters," in order to reclaim 2 sqare feet of interior space. They really felt "cooped up" (no pun intended) during the three or four hurricane and/or snow days, we had this past fall and winter. Our next challenge will be to find a super-mutant grass seed that will grow literally over night, so the girls don't eat or scratch it all up before it ever gets a chance to get established. (as if....)

mm

Let me know if you succeed!

I know! Right?! No small trick, that. But it's not asking too much, is it?

mm

Inside coop space: 6 sq ft per chicken, nesting and sleeping.
Free range space: 100 sq ft per chicken

But that will change when we get more!

Last edited:
Certainly shows that four square feet per bird is not the "recommended" number here on BYC. Thanks Nifty. In my opinion, if you have a chicken run, then you have a caged bird. For example, 7L Farms is really nothing more than a concentrated animal farm.

well, my Japanese Silkie 'lovebird', Lilly is the proud tenant of a 12' x 16' bedroom in a cedar home on the lake..... does it count if she has me n 3 cats as roommates, or should i divide by 5??? as far as yard space, she has free run of lakeside property that i don't know how to measure, but it's alot for one lil girl...

Right now I have around 8 ft per chicken if my coop is as big as I think. The coop was here when I moved in. there run is twice that and they also get to free range from time to time. I mix it up so that a fox or something don't get use to them being out.

Inside their Tajmahal they have 10 sq ft. per spoiled bird not including roosts, boxes etc. it's a 10 X 12 shed. Outside they have a 200 X 50 fenced grass and pine tree area. When I get home from work they have a glorious 5 acres to wander and the neighbors 5 acres. ( I have awesome neighbors who love them as much as me)

Back
Top Bottom