Official BYC Poll: What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

• PVC Pipe

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Branch(es)

Votes: 154 36.4%
  • Wooden Dowel Rod

Votes: 36 8.5%
  • Processed Wood with Rounded Corners

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood wide edge up

Votes: 212 50.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood narrow edge up

Votes: 70 16.5%
  • Pre-made Plastic Roost Bars

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 55 13.0%

• Total voters
I use branches but still have a couple of gals that pile into the nest. Throw them out every night at dusk otherwise I get dirty eggs the next morning. Would love to solve that problem.

I use branches but still have a couple of gals that pile into the nest. Throw them out every night at dusk otherwise I get dirty eggs the next morning. Would love to solve that problem.
Block the nests every evening before sunset. And open them again before you go to sleep. After a few weeks/ a month they probably will not return to that habit.

Lots of humans overlook the importance of roosts (aka perches), but chickens don't. The natural way for a chicken to sleep is by sitting on a roost. Nope, they don't like beds or the ground. Only hens with chicks, injured chickens, and sometimes silkies (if they can't reach the roost) will sleep on the ground. In the wild, a flock of chickens tries to get as high off the ground as they can at night, most often in the branches of a tree. They do this to help them stay safe from land predators. Moral: please provide your chickens roosts to sleep on!

What kind of roost(s) do you have installed?

Multiple answers are possible and please tell us if you did anything to prevent foot or mite problems /show us your roost with a picture down in the comments section.

View attachment 2544576

Here are some interesting reads:

If you are wondering what roost shapes other keepers of chickens use, check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...osts-do-you-use-in-your-chicken-coop.1403365/

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I’ve got pine tree branches as roosts in my coop! Each one is just a touch over six feet long, and spaced about 18 inches apart!

Attachments

• 5F8AE739-AD7F-4766-8E5B-E6094B3C4973.jpeg
    5F8AE739-AD7F-4766-8E5B-E6094B3C4973.jpeg
    606.5 KB · Views: 7
I've got 2x4's wide side up in a stadium seating arrangement starting at 3ft off the floor going up to 7ft high. I do have a box about 15" high as a launch/landing pad for the big girls.

My Omlet Eglu comes with a roost area with a plastic roost bars that lift out in one piece. Below is a tray to catch droppings, which acts like a cat litter box. Super easy to clean every day and hens like it.
Please could you give us a picture. I like the idea of catching the droppings! I spread newspapers under them every night but slways hsve an overabundance of them to get rid of. 🐓 🐔 🐣

Pvc pipe in most of the brooders since they are usually in trees by the time they actually begin to roost. I do use branches in some spots, but mainly in brooders I run on the ground when we have too many chicks together that we incubated. Large numbers of chicks without a hen tend to take way longer to roost in trees. This is because the ones that try to roost in trees earlier will come back down to the lazy ones that want back in the brooder at night.
What state are you in?

Back
Top Bottom