Official BYC Poll: Where Do Your Chickens Dust Bathe?

Where Do Your Chickens Dust Bathe?

• On the sand/dirt floor in coop or run

Votes: 172 44.2%
  • In a large pot or bowl with sand in a dry spot

Votes: 48 12.3%
  • They make their own dust bath wherever they like

Votes: 285 73.3%
  • They always have access to a dry area to take a dust bath

Votes: 107 27.5%
  • They don’t / can’t take dust baths

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • They make me mad digging holes in my garden

Votes: 72 18.5%
  • What's a dust bath?

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 36 9.3%

• Total voters
Dust bathing is important for chickens because it keeps them clean. The dust removes excess oil from the chickens' skin and can even kill parasites. Dust bathing kills parasites by covering them in dust which suffocates them. You have to make sure your run has an area of dry loose dirt and sand that your chickens can dust bathe in and you also have to make sure that the area is protected from becoming a big muddy mess in the rain. To keep the dust bathing area from getting wet try to put a roof over it.

To provide a dust bathing area for your chickens you can pour some sand in the corner of your run, fill an old tire with sand, or let your chickens make their own dust bathing area and just help them to keep it dry. So in this week's poll, we would like to find out: Where Do Your Chickens Dust Bathe?

Feel free to choose multiple answers and please elaborate in the comment section if you choose "Other".

View attachment 2611980

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
They drive me mad! The naughty things! Whenever I plant something they will for some reason use that area as their dust bath! The flower beds are ruined!

Mine dust bathe in two areas of their run. Then, I'll also find them when their free ranging under the boat, under the car port, next to the gate too. Craters are everywhere!!!! Hence how I sprained my ankle and fell!! Ouch! Now, I always were my Ariat barn boots with good ankle supports when I go into the yard. Those lil backhoes!!! Lol

In the coop and run, I have sand inside and covering 1/4 of the run. The remaining 3/4 is dirt and whatever weeds dare try to grow in the presence of my chickens.
I also free range occasionally, then my chickens go and dust bathe in the sandy sections of my cornfield by the house. Funny enough they do not try to dustbathe in the giant sand pile I have.

The two Blue Australorps made new, side-by-side dust baths smack in the middle of the run in full sunshine on an unseasonably cool, mid-70's day today. Cordon was so into it that she let all the others eat the fresh weeds while I photographed her.

0531211919.jpg

0531211918c.jpg

0531211918.jpg

Back
Top Bottom