• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
Pets and Eggs
smile.png

I think for health reasons, too. Their eggs are so much fresher and healthier to eat than store bought eggs, and no antibiotics, hormones or chemicals. Not to mention tastier.

My other is taking a page from history and the great depression. If the economy tanks, I want to be as independent as possible and have a food source for my family.

Our 4-H clubs don't have poultry and the Duval County Fair deems itself "not an agricultural faire" - Still shaking my head over that one

Caroline
Jax FL

I started keeping silkies for my kids. My son adores his silkie that he incubated. It's pretty easy for a 7yo to take care of a chicken... and we used it as an educational tool! (We homeschool.)
My "big girls" are pets and egg layers.
smile.png

Something was missing when I moved out of the apartment and onto my acreage. The chickens filled a big part of the missing piece at my place in the country.

My "other" reason, I guess, would have to be the aesthetics.

RSD

Hi Nifty,

I forgot to mention that when people ask me why I keep chicken, I always mention that I am also contributing to the genetic preservation of the heritage breeds. I'm not sure if it's an item to add to the poll though...
idunno.gif

Cheers!
frow.gif

I'm really surprised how few people are raising them for meat. I remember Greyfields posting on a thread that only a scant 1% of Americans raise their own chickens for meat. I guess he was accurate per this poll.

My Kids Have ALLERGIES to fur, so it makes for a limited amount of pets they can have.

Birds are a great option but I was wanting a PET, not a display. a lot of pet birds are sweet Little things that are more for show, finches, ext.

Chickens are able to be interacted with, you can hold, pet, and train them. They are inexpensive in comparison to Parrots, and other birds.

There is a Huge variety in the breed of chickens to choose from. as well as Ducks, swine and EXT.

They also bonus us with EGGS, FERTILIZER, BUG CONTROL, and are LIVING COMPOSERS.

Can you tell I'll be going to court about my chickens next week ...lol

Back
Top Bottom