• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
Originally wanted chickens for eggs for my family. Now my family including myself love them as pets. Also, It is calming to watch them hunt and peck all over the yard. Even when our Sixty was gobbling up our cover crop seeds she was just too precious. Plus I think I was always a chicken lover. My mother tells me when I was a toddler we used to live near someone who kept chickens. Every time she turned around I had escaped and was playing with the chickens.

Last edited:
It's like having a little flock of dinosaurs in the backyard! The kids love them-my daughter carries her favorite around like a baby, and said chicken, Sylvie, actually runs up to her for attention. We initially got them as a novelty and for eggs, but we enjoy them so much-our flock keeps growing : ) My husband recently had the idea to put them in our garden boxes while he was weeding-brilliant! They did all the work for him! Coolest pets! And fresh, FRESH, eggs cannot be beat. We own 6 different breeds, each with it's own personality.

I think they are fun to watch and it really relieves the stress. It also makes me feel good about all the table scraps and old food that are no longer be wasted.

I love animals and treated a chicken recently and fell in love with her. It wa the first time i saw a chicken up close. I spoke to the owners for awhile during her discharge from the hospital and she got me thinking. I though it would be cool to learn about another species i didn't know too much about. After joining BYC prior to even having chickens i learned so much. I didn't even realize there were different breeds! I basically made all of the comments on the city slicker thread:)

Anyway, i thought why not. I thought my kids would love them and we thought it would open us up to a whole new world. We live in a small shore community and our little flock is the hit of the block. Since ours there are two more homes with chickens in our neighborhood.

i know this answer of why i got them is kinda boring. Now if you asked me why i keep them or what i enjoy about them, that would take awhile!:love

Last edited:
Hi ,
I raise pure English strain Light Sussex for their intrinsic beauty and to preserve this rare strain.
Karen
Waterford English Light Sussex
in western PA, USA

They are also a great source of entertainment
smile.png
When I get home from work around 3pm, I'll grab a cigar and and a drink, head outside, let the chickens out to eat grass and bugs. I'm entertained till sunset.

Back
Top Bottom