• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
The lab I was working in needed chickens, at the end it was either euthanize them or take them home! Needless to say they all came home with me!! I found all of them good homes and kept the silkie for myself.
love.gif
My love for silkies was born!

When you look at chickens and see their funny sounds and movements it makes you smile, helps you relax.

When I originally got chickens, I fully intended to use them for meat, when they stopped laying. Well, that never happened. I love my "Ladies" to much!

I agree with the poster who said they make her smile. But my husband, who said "Ok you can have chickens (only had to beg for 12 years) but don't expect me to have anything to do with them" is one of the greatest chicken fans ever. He adopted my 2 day old Chocolate Bantam Orp and now she is Daddy's Little Girl. We spend hours in the brooder room (formerly my craft room) with the chicks. His little Fudge loves to move between us & she curls up on a shoulder & chats for hours. Then she poops on you. All good. They just make us happy.

What about supporting livestock diversity? Most people here are raising some wonderfully rare birds and supporting breed conservation through responsible breeding and putting them "to work" selling their eggs and meat. Breeds don't stick around too long without someone taking an interest.

As well as my poll replies...... the other entails my preference for KNOWING where my eggs come from and preference for organic as possible. Another 'other' for me is donating fresh eggs to those in need around me. If I do well and have extra the local food commodities place will have fresh eggs to give to those who would like farm fresh eggs raised with free range and non chemical methods.

I want to share my beautiful birds...so I sell hatching eggs....and yes, my Black Copper Marans, and Blue Splash won at the 4H shows this year in Florida!...Thanks to Cloverdale Farms.
celebrate.gif
~Charm1704

I said eggs and meat but also OTHER because its the all natural, hormone free, and quality of what I am serving my family. Its a more natural way of life. I love my children and want to place things on their plates they deserve, which is not possibly cancer causing foods....at least as much as i can. We don't drink sodas, make our own jam and can all types of vegetable we grow ourselves from our fruit trees and garden each year. How things should be....reliant on our local farmers/growers and I am one of them!!!

Back
Top Bottom