• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
In addition to eggs, fertilizing the garden, and enjoyment, I like sharing the responsibilities and fun with my grandchildren. I have three granddaughters the live with me. They love holding the birds. It seems that the hens prefer to be held by them rather than adults.

I originally ordered 5 female chicks, thinking that I did not want any roosters. To my pleasant surprise, we found that one of the chicks is a rooster. I am very happy about it. Now we can discover the full cycle of chicken life and behaviors. Less boring than a few well- behaved hens. I will be adding a couple of light brahma pullets this week. Raising chickens is such a dynamic and interesting hobby.

I also did itfor that reason .. Same reason I also Rabbits, ducks, Turkeys, Quail, Geese, Breed hunting Labradors... My family and I will Never starve...

But I have to admit I love doing it being a city boy Most of My life.. I love My Acres...

I also did itfor that reason .. Same reason I also Rabbits, ducks, Turkeys, Quail, Geese, Breed hunting Labradors... My family and I will Never starve...

But I have to admit I love doing it being a city boy Most of My life.. I love My Acres...
how do you do with your turkeys? I have heard they are a pain in the butt and stupid. also, have a tendancy for.....black something ?????????? do you have everyone in different coops separated or same building separated?? I have ducks and chickens same coop but separated in the coop. how much feed do you have to feed the turkeys? do they free range and can get a lot of food that way?

Blackhead.. a desease chickens can transmit to the turkeys.. and yes they have to be seperate becasue of it...so seperate... I also keep Ducks and geese seperate well they are together but seperate from chickens and Turkeys only because they like the ground wet and chickens prefer a drier conditions... My turkeys go through about 10 pounds a week... of feed... but when I am doing Jumbo White for food they eat more than that Like I think average 40 pounds each for 14 weeks average but I do grow Alphalfa and all my animals get as much as I decide to cut each day to supplement.... everything loves it

Raised chickens as part of a school project and we decided to keep them and take them home once we were given leave to do so. ^^ But yes, mainly for eggs and meat. We're also considering adding rabbits into the mix.

how do you do with your turkeys?  I have heard they are a pain in the butt and stupid.  also, have a tendancy for.....black something ??????????   do you have everyone in different coops separated or same building separated??  I have ducks and chickens same coop but separated in the coop.  how much feed do you have to feed the turkeys?  do they free range and can get a lot of food that way?

I did turkeys for the first time this summer...never again.

Yes, they are stupid etc.... But they were ALWAYS cold!

If you want inexpensive meat, I would say chickens, since they are like pigs, you can feed them almost anything. Or, if you have lots of grass, get geese, as long as your grass is growing, they will eat almost no feed. However, they don't like tall field grass...they eat tender lawn grass.

Back
Top Bottom