• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
The other is therapy I have been out of work for almost 2 years (3/26/12) with cancer when in for a test an hour later I was told I have cancer and had to quit my job on the spot and 4hours later I was at the cancer center meeting with doctors on how to save me I can sit and watch them for hours and when I hold them there warmth feels awesome on my hands because of the nerve damage from chemo yes my chickens are very spoiled but in return they help me fight depression and that's better than any meds :ya

We got ours as a project for FFA, but my how the addiction grows! Each of the girls have such a personality. And the extra boys we got in our straight run of 30 we butcher.... Still have 8 boys left from the original 14. My youngest learn, and so do I. Will be getting a different breed next week that will be for show! Yep, I'm a addict.... :)

Great Poll.

I replied eggs, pets (all 17 of our girls have names), and for my "other" as an educational experience for my children. We live in the city...wanted my kids to have the experience of raising chickens.

Getting on average 14 a day, these were collected at 10am.

Last edited:
I call it chicken sutra...I never fancied birds but one day a few years back I ran out of eggs and decided that would never happen again. ..uh oh.
They are amazing to watch and calming. They show me social structure without having to go to a mall to people watch. My 8yo German Shepherd is a mother hen and former search and rescue partner and we just put down her best friend since she was 7 weeks old and she loves to have a job still. We are trying to become more independent and self sufficient; chickens are an integral part of my chemical free garden and composting program. I like the company of the birds, and so far, all the chicken folks I have met are really decent, down to earth types who care about animals, the environment and so my social life is great. Chickens have nothing to do with the job I do for money so my off time is really off. There is so much I'm sure I am missing a bunch but there is one reason we all were thinking of in the back of our minds and just didn't want to toss out there so I will... Just two little words. ..ZOMBIE APOCOLYPSE, need I say more?! Seriously, great thread.

Last edited:
For myself and my child the other is entertainment. Fat Mama who is an Austarlorp will squat when you try to pet her making it easy to pick her up.

I actually got the chickens to sit on my peafowl eggs and hatch them out but that never happened LOL Then I find myself putting a couple chicken eggs into the incubator to hatch the same time as my first peafowl egg, this way the chicken chick can teach the peafowl chick how to eat and drink. It amazes me that chicken chicks know how to eat and drink on their own and a peafowl chick has to be taught LMAO! Now my chickens are pets and give me eggs and I will try to get them to hatch a peafowl one day and someday might even show them
big_smile.png
jumpy.gif

I'm a bird lover.
Living in the city, I only have room for small breeds. Bantams are my favorite, I also have doves.
My birds are far from easy maint., but worth it.

thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom