• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
How are the Santa Cruz Mountains these days? I used to love driving over that way, and visiting the beach, when I attended SJSU. Been a "few" years back now.
wink.png

Quote:

Aren't Faverolles GREAT??!! I have 2 standard Salmon cockerels I raised this year to see the color, and I'm keeping one and buying him some girls next year. He's the only cock who "talks" to me!! And he's so big (stds get 7#), but he's sooooo gentle with the baby bantams. He stays in their pen to keep away from the more aggressive cockerels, so next year he'll be king of the crew, with the help of a couple of strutting OEG cockerels. So far, he's one of my favs, along with my Cream Brabanter and Russian Orloff. Both of which will get cockerels, and more sisters, next year. They're just fabulous; not mean at all, even to the other same age chickens or small ones. I'm sold!!!
Quote:

:)We both really enjoy watching them, and to see the character of to Roosters (we have 2). My husband first said it was just a hobby, he liked to see a chicken scratch, he would say.. Relaxing to watch them, not that hard to take care of them. Also no Vet bills with a chicken.
big_smile.png
I would like to know though how to get them to quit breaking their eggs open? Will check back on another day for a reply please does anyone have a answer to that?
sad.png

My 'other' vote is for 4H, teaching business skills, and . . . I just can't help myself! I'm addicted to hatching and then I have all these feathers hanging around . . .
big_smile.png

I started raising chicks so my granddaughter would have the experience of being with farm animals. She is now 5 years old and she has a rooster whom she loves.
smile.png

Last edited:
When Bush decided to invade Iraq, I did everything I could to stop him. I couldn't, so I decided to not watch the news, but get chickens and do something positive for me and the world.

That worked for me, and maybe for the world, and now I raise chickens because they are so entertaining. I call it "Chicken TV"

I didn't get them for this reason but I love coming home after work, pouring my hubby and me a glass of wine and going outside to sit in our adirondacks with the girls. We sit and watch them eat all the tomatoes/grapes/kale.... their little hearts desire. Truly our favorite part of the day! The eggs are a plus at this point, but the main reason we got them
lol.png

Quote:
Stick a golf ball/wooden egg/ plastic egg/ or something of the sort in the nest. They'll get the idea. If they still do it, just be available pretty quickly once they lay and take the eggs. I had one that was doing this and I hung out in the garden one day and figured out who was doing it. I grabbed the egg from under her the next time and switched it out with a golf ball at the same time. She stopped from then on. I still leave the golf balls in there. Good luck. It sounds like it's time consuming, but it only took me a few hours and I had it figured out for the next morning.

Hi delores8, saw your question on "breaking their eggs open"; that can be so frustrating. Some of the things that it could be is diet, boredom, etc.; also I never feed the egg shells back to them as years ago it gave a couple of mine the idea to break eggs. So, when you are logged in to this BYC, look for the "Search" box & enter "Chickens breaking eggs" for example. That will take you to several BYC comments on the subject. Good luck to you, hope you get your girls balanced out.

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom