• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
My chickens are always glad to see me at the end of a long day and are extremely relaxing to watch. Comical too!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
You sure have that right. . . I enjoy a glass of wine in the yard with the "chicken TV" most every night! Wonderful fun!

Quote:
I would agree with you here. People are horrified I've slaughtered my birds (which have fed my dogs so far....but will feed me soon enough!) and I can't get over that they think it's cruel! My birds get sunlight, fresh air, an ammonia-free coop, treats, human interaction, fresh greens, bugs to catch and even get to interact with my dogs (which can be sweet or scary depending on which dog
lol.png
). What's even better is that those who are horrified are not even vegetarian - how can you be more of a hypocrit?!

Just ranting...I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm glad there are folks who think like I do.

It may have been covered (boy alot gets posted when you're not keeping up with BYC, lol!!!), but one key reason and side benefit to wanting healthy foods, ie eggs and some roo meat, is the ongoing lessons in biology, sustainability, environmental studies etc. We are home learners, unschoolers, in fact, and the learning opportunities that have presented themselves to my two boys, aged 7 and newly 4, have been nothing short of amazing!

There are many jumping off points in the raising of chickens , especially from day-olds as we chose to do, and the learning is natural, non-coercive, completely child-led, and unique to each boy's particular interests and ways of learning. I couldn't have asked for a better fit for our family!!! And as lifelearners, I learn a tonne too! My Dh and I know so much about chickens and the afore mentioned subjects than a mere 6 months ago, when we began this journey. Sooooo loving it!!!
love.gif

My other, and main reason for raising chickens:
Because I want my children to understand that our food does not just come from a store. I want them to know that there is a whole Eco system that we rely on for our food and existence, and because of that reason we should take extra care of our earth. It also helps teach then about the lifecycle, and all the cycles that support life.

And chickens are great for helping teach about recycling, and reducing waste and being more efficient.

The Chickens eat the bugs, and our food scraps, eliminating waste and the need for pesticides, while producing fertilizer and eggs to eat!

It's just a great all around thing to share with the kids!!!

I didnt click other because the meat/egg thing covered it. But I want to say that I raise my own as a statement against the conditions birds are kept in in large commercial confinement operations. I think its a Sin, and I use that word with all its full out Ctholic lady lighting candles Biblical weight.

The main reason I have chickens is b/c I wanted pets that were different. Shhh...don't tell my DH- he thinks they're only for eggs.
big_smile.png

DD told her classmates at school that we have chickens and they didn't believe us until she brought in a picture of her holding a chicken for a class assignment. Now she has to keep explaining to kids and her teacher that we are not farmers-we just have chickens running around in our backyard. lol
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom