• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
I also have a nieghbor I don't like and the law allows me to raise chickens where I live... So I raise roosters... and anything else that makes noise.... Peacocks. His nieghbor on the other side does the same... So our roosters compete.. ha ha Nothing like a little nieghborhood justice... Let's just say he is a bad egg n leave it at that....
smile.png

You forgot the beautiful feathers in many different colors that I use on my hats and other craft projects. The best part is that they shed the feathers and I just walk around in the yard and pick up the good ones! It works for my turkey feathers too.

someone, who is very gracious presented me with a gift this weekend. glad to announce i am the proud owner of 3 hens and 1 rooster, black australorps! looking forward to hearing the rooster crow! at what age does he sound off? will the "move" to their new coop affect the hens in their egg laying? thanks.

HELP I don't know what I am doing with the computer on this site
roll.png
I want to connect only with the people from Arizona and receive their email/posts. This site seems different than other sites/groups I have seen. I can't seem to get around in it. I'm not too familiar with my computer either and that might be the bigger problem. Oh and hope the fires are slowing down in Cali and Washington. Az is burning too. We still are over 105 with last wk at 115. We did have some rain tonite so maybe... TERE (a newbee on board)

I want to know that my eggs are coming from well-treated birds and I want to do my part for the environment. Too much waste is going from factory farms (including poultry) into groundwater and waterways - many of which, lead to our oceans.

Just think if even 1/4 of households kept a few laying hens, composted and grew some of their own veggies and skipped meat in their meals twice a week- what an impact it would make (for the better) on the environment!
smile.png

Quote:
Hi there, New Egg. . . being a real "computer dummy" myself, I can sympathize. BYC is a national (actually, probably international) site / message board, so when you come here, you can not be assured of only communicating with folks in AZ. I am a newbie chicken owner in Phoenix, and have found lots of valuable stuff here, not to mention the stuff that is just fun! There are a couple of places that do AZ specific chicken things. Try Phoenix Permaculture Guild , Micro livestock . . they have a Backyard chicken message board, or the Phoenix backyard poultry group. I would suggest that you keep this site bookmarked, however, there is LOTS of good stuff here. Carol

Wow, we love our chickens!
The excuse was eggs, bug control and compost...BUT
#1 is "therapy" aka entertainment, the reason to get up in the morning, how to meet the neighbors and other complete strangers, etc.
And now I'll never eat store-bought eggs if I can help it. Gosh this is fun.

Forgot: Because I couldn't get a (fill in the blank) cat, dog, horse...
Oh, and health...have just loads of food allergies, so getting my own eggs that haven't been dipped in soy oil, or someday when I find it, fed soy-based foods.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom