• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
Just happened to see the thread about why folks raise chickens and thought I'd add my two cents. I'm absolutely amazed that only 3% said they raise chickens for meat. I surely thought more people would eat their chickens. I raise both layers and meat birds. Both the eggs and meat from free range chickens are delicious. But of course if your chickens are your pets that's a whole different story.

I checked all of them but meat and other.
smile.png
Chickens are just too awesome!

There's no place to say I got into chickens because the feed store made my son buy six when the city only allowed three.
tongue.png

I suppose that comes under other.

Last edited:
I initially got chickens for eggs.

I didn't know any one who had chickens so before I did anything with my idea I found several families in my neighborhood, Palo Alto, CA, and asked to come and see their set up.

I asked a lot of questions and also found BackYardChickens.com. This site is where I got most of my advice.

Since I started keeping chickens, in 2003, I've expanded my little flock to nine, built two coops--one large and one small, and fallen in love with these little critters. They are much more than just egg layers to me know. Can't imagine my life without them.

Initially got chickens for eggs. Then it appealed to me to have meat that I knew where it came from without meds and hormones. So processing is next. Then selling eggs to pay for feed, then selling chicks and hatching eggs. So it has evolved since I started.

Ah, we originally wanted to keep them for the eggs and fertiliser, but over time of course they became like pets for us
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom