"Oh I would have never guess that, sorry for the bother and thanks so much!"

Mommachirp

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2015
Peoria, AZ
Hello everyone. I thought I would share a story with you. So as you might have read I am New at this raising chickens thing. I figured I would share this story as it might prevent someone else from having the same experience.
(I might be the only dummy in the world this happens to!)
My baby chicks were about 3 or 4 weeks old. I check on them one day and they look to what appeared to me as bruise or burnt feathers. Let me back up a bit in this story. So, I have seven Red Stars that are a light yellow when they are baby chicks. So when I looked at them that morning i saw what I thought were burnt patches or bruises. I panicked of course and felt so guilty and told hubby. "Why did you let me get these poor baby chicks? I don't know what I'm doing! I just brought them here to suffer."
My concern was "am I raising these chickens to be those fighting chickens?" Which later the thought changed to "Oh no I'm cooking them with the heat lamp"
Now, Hubby is familiar with chicks as he raised them many years ago. He tried his best to tell me over and over again, "they are fine"..... My thought, "FINE? Do something please. My babies are burnt or bruised... Or simply hurt"
I felt there was a lack of confidence in that "they are fine"...... So I load up all seven baby chicks in the dog carrier and head to the feed store. Of course, son is in the truck googling sores on chickens. Scary stuff in that search! So, now I am more panic and the less than 5 minute drive only escalated my level of worry.
"No, they are closed!" Yup. The feed place was closed. Mind you this is MOMMACHIRP. This was not going to stop me. I look in the parking lot and there is an employee...... Yup you bet I stopped him! After apologizing to bother him I simply said. "Please help me with my babies. They are bruised or burnt" so he rushes to take a look and says. "Ma'am, your chicks are fine this is normal. Their feathers change colors. What you are seeing is the blood filled vessels in their feathers" my reply ....... "Oh I would have never guess that, sorry for the bother and thanks so much!"

Live and learn. At least the girls enjoyed the ride. They were relaxed in the truck.

You can only laugh at this if you share a similar story! Haha!
Thanks for reading. Hope you liked the story.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community!

Haha! I'm glad they are fine! There are a lot of stories on here about new owners finding out that some things are natural, the hard way. I found out that chickens have different personalities the fun way! I originally thought all chickens were stupid and they were all the same. Well, at least now you know what real sores look like and you are more prepared if that happens. At least they know they have someone who cares and worries about them. Have fun! :D

Personality personality!!!!! It's truly amazing to watch them. I spend hours daily with them. They know me well now. It's like my dogs. They are happy to see me and it breaks my heart when they watch me leave.:confused:

Last edited:
Personality personality!!!!! It's truly amazing to watch them. I spend hours daily with them. They know me well now. It's like my dogs. They are happy to see me and it breaks my heart when they watch me leave.
hu.gif
When you have chicks around, who needs TV? They are so entertaining! My girls only like me for the food. Haha!

they love us for more than just the food. The foods a reminder for them to love us!! You raise a great point I watch less tv because I'm cleaning/ rearranging their coop or just sitting with them on my lap.

Back
Top Bottom