Oh No! Broodies left clutch - how long is too long?

maymay8

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 29, 2008
Albuquerque, NM
Hi All -

I'm trying not to rage against our hens. They left their clutch -- due to hatch in three days -- sometime between last night 9 ish and this morning 10:30ish. The eggs were cool when I found them at 10:30, so they were likely left unattended for at least an hour or so. We are in Albuquerque, New Mexico so it isn't freezing. Got down to 31 last night, but was back up to 50s this a.m. Are our eggs doomed? Are they tough enough to make it? I put them right back under then hens and they've retaken to them. We will lrt them sit it out. Thoughts?
Maggie

I've seen plenty of threads on here where the eggs have gotten cold either due to power outages/unplugged bators or something happening to keep the broody off the nest. A lot of them end up still having pretty good hatches so I think it is definetly worth trying.
hugs.gif
fl.gif
hugs.gif

I predict they'll be fine.

My two broodies scared me at first because they would leave the clutch for what seemed like a very long time to me.

One of those times was just yesterday, and the chicks started hatching yesterday afternoon.

So i trust their mothers' intuition, i guess.

I don't think you hens quit, they took a break. Hens know a lot more about hatching eggs than we do. I also predict they are just fine. You on the other hand need a warm cup of tea and to put your feet up for a bit.

Our broody was recently off her eggs for 3.5 hours (due to our neglect, not her instinct), her broody cage door closed when she took a break. We found her frantic, put her back on. We had a 100% hatch rate. GOOD LUCK!

I also think they'll be fine.
smile.png

Don't forget that the internal temperature of the egg takes longer to cool down than the outside of the egg shell!

Thanks all! Good to know we have a strong reason for hope with a hatch. I'll pass on the encouragment to my kiddos and husband.
Best,
Maggie

Back
Top Bottom