Oh no!!! Coccidiosis!!!!

All the bloody stools have resolved. Appetites have returned. We may be in the clear! They are all back in the same brooder and doing well so far. Only one is a little tired but still improving!

You can give liquid Corid orally as well as in the water. I give one small drop to chicks or .2ml per 2.2 pounds (20mg/kg) for larger fowl. You could do the same with the powder, but you'd have to do a little math...

The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon per gallon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon.

The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon per gallon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon per gallon.

The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons per gallon.
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon per gallon.

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

-Kathy

I have 6 chicks that will be going out to the baby coop soon. can I start them on this treatment before they get put out. I am sure I had 3 chicks in that coop & pen die from this coccidiosis & started with a different antibiotic as I had none of the amprolium & couldn't find in a local feed store. But just did & also ordered some from Ebay. but need to treat now the ones outside..

I have 6 chicks that will be going out to the baby coop soon. can I start them on this treatment before they get put out. I am sure I had 3 chicks in that coop & pen die from this coccidiosis & started with a different antibiotic as I had none of the amprolium & couldn't find in a local feed store. But just did & also ordered some from Ebay. but need to treat now the ones outside..
I would use the preventative dose on them when they hit the ground. It can be repeated in 3 weeks at the same dose. If you notice the symptoms of cocci--lethargy, hunched up, not eating-- then switch to the severe outbreak dose above.

Can you treat for both Coccidiosis and worms at the same time? I know I have worms but not sure on Coccidiosis. I have both safe Guard and Wazine to treat for the worms.

Can you treat for both Coccidiosis and worms at the same time? I know I have worms but not sure on Coccidiosis. I have both safe Guard and Wazine to treat for the worms.

I have used both Safeguard and Corid at the same time on many occasions.

-Kathy

I read on this site somewhere that you should not treat them both at the same time. It is too rough on the chickens. I just can't remember where I read it. 

It's been okay on all of the ones I've treated. Pretty sure both don't have any drug interaction warnings.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom