Oh no!!! Coccidiosis!!!!

Thanks, I know I have worms and just lost that hen (her neck was bent funny and she held her head over top of her body). They all have runny poop. No blood that I can see but just to be safe I'd like to treat my flock.
Again Thank you all for such great info!

Coccidiosis hit hard yesterday in my 4 week old Bantam Cochin chicks. My beautiful Calico boy died about 6 hrs after I began
treating all of them. Five made it through the night and were/are perkier than they were. They are drinking on their own (Corid in H20) and I added a mash this morning of Starter cumbles, homemade yogurt, and water. They have been eating it and I've touched their beaks into inbetween to remind them it's there. They are mobile, but will still huddle together or stand and look like a statue.

I separated the other 3 b/c they have squishy crops. I've massaged them gently and liquid comes out of their beaks. They haven't progressed as fast as the other 5.

These chicks are still under lights. They live in the house and have never been outside.

What should I do for the ones whose crops are squishy? When should I add ACV to the water? I don't want to lose them from overtreating, but I don't want to overwhelm their systems either.

TIA! Connie

Leave the crops alone--don't massage them. I'm not an expert on crops, but I do know that chicks with cocci can get a slow crop, and you need to try to get them to take the Corid, but don't treat them like a sour crop. I wouldn't push the feed as much as getting them to take the Corid, and if using the liquid Corid, it is easy to give a drop or two undiluted. Their bellies are usually in pain with cocci, and they will start eating when they feel better, so just push the liquids or dropper feed them. No need to separate them.

The bag of Kaytee Baby Bird Food says one can use infant applesauce with slow crop, but I haven't tried it and I don't know if it would be appropriate when treating coccidiosis.

http://www.kaytee.com/products/exact-hand-feeding-baby-bird.php
CROP SLOW-DOWN: If crop slow-down should occur, first check for proper environmental temperature as this is a frequent cause of crop problems. Then mix equal parts of exact Hand Feeding Formula and infant applesauce or provide additional water by preparing exact at the ratio of one part exact to two or three parts water. Provide this mixture for approximately 24 hours and then slowly return to the normal concentration of exact over an additional 24 hour period. During this time, massage the chick’s crop gently to break up any food aggregates that may develop. Never massage the crop when it is more than half full. Allow the crop to empty before feeding again. This method will quickly allow the gastrointestinal tract to stabilize and become fully functional again. The appearance of dark green droppings in a hand fed baby may indicate a temporary shut-down of crop emptying (or the lack of food in the digestive system). If this occurs and the crop contains food, the rate of crop emptying should be immediately evaluated. If no improvement is noted within 36 hours, professional assistance is advised.

The above says to massage the crop, but I sure wouldn't!

-Kathy

Leave the crops alone--don't massage them. I'm not an expert on crops, but I do know that chicks with cocci can get a slow crop, and you need to try to get them to take the Corid, but don't treat them like a sour crop. I wouldn't push the feed as much as getting them to take the Corid, and if using the liquid Corid, it is easy to give a drop or two undiluted. Their bellies are usually in pain with cocci, and they will start eating when they feel better, so just push the liquids or dropper feed them. No need to separate them.

Thank you, Eggcessive. I read that on another post on BYC, but it didn't seem right. I only did it once. I lost another one. This is just breaking my heart. The remaining 7 are more active and vocal tonight (not normal, but better). All of them are eating a little chick mash with a little bit of grit. I don't know if the grit will help with the 3 who still have full crops. Didn't read that you could give Corid full strength to the little ones. I'll do that now and hope that they keep drinking through the night (the diluted Corid). I did dropper feed them yesterday through this evening.

I found some normal feces in their boxes...who, but an animal lover, would get excited over these things?

Thank you for responding! It really helps...
Connie

The bag of Kaytee Baby Bird Food says one can use infant applesauce with slow crop, but I haven't tried it and I don't know if it would be appropriate when treating coccidiosis.

CROP SLOW-DOWN: If crop slow-down should occur, first check for proper environmental temperature as this is a frequent cause of crop problems. Then mix equal parts of exact Hand Feeding Formula and infant applesauce or provide additional water by preparing exact at the ratio of one part exact to two or three parts water. Provide this mixture for approximately 24 hours and then slowly return to the normal concentration of exact over an additional 24 hour period. During this time, massage the chick’s crop gently to break up any food aggregates that may develop. Never massage the crop when it is more than half full. Allow the crop to empty before feeding again. This method will quickly allow the gastrointestinal tract to stabilize and become fully functional again. The appearance of dark green droppings in a hand fed baby may indicate a temporary shut-down of crop emptying (or the lack of food in the digestive system). If this occurs and the crop contains food, the rate of crop emptying should be immediately evaluated. If no improvement is noted within 36 hours, professional assistance is advised.

-Kathy

Thank you, Kathy! I've never heard of Crop Slow-Down. I will try to get some of the "Exact" tomorrow at one of the feed stores, or pet store (they have supplies for exotic birds). The 3 chicks who still have full crops definitely have crops over half full - I'm not touching them again. I'm just saying little prayers that these 7 make it through.

Many thanks for your reply. Hard lessons to learn.

Connie

The bag of Kaytee Baby Bird Food says one can use infant applesauce with slow crop, but I haven't tried it and I don't know if it would be appropriate when treating coccidiosis.

-Kathy

Thank you, Kathy!  I've never heard of Crop Slow-Down.  I will try to get some of the "Exact" tomorrow at one of the feed stores, or pet store (they have supplies for exotic birds).  The 3 chicks who still have full crops definitely have crops over half full - I'm not touching them again.  I'm just saying little prayers that these 7 make it through.

Many thanks for your reply.  Hard lessons to learn.

Connie

I don't think you need the exact unless you're going to tube feed, but you could try mixing their crumbles with Corid water and a little applesauce. I do lots of tubing and bought some applesauce just in case, but haven't had had any slow crops to try it on.

-Kathy

Thought I'd post a follow up on my Bantam Frizzle Cochin chicks. We lost one more that first night, but the remaining 6 are doing great, thanks to all of the good information I got here. Slowly, but surely, the 6 started eating and drinking on their own and their GI tracts are working, too. No more problems with full crops. They're all still in sick bay so I can watch them more closely.

I did dose them with Corid using a syringe and they picked up almost immediately. There's still Corid in their water. I think I have 2 more days of that.

Never do I want to go through that again! But, if it happens, at least I'll know where to start and what to look forl Another good reason to keep the medicine kit well stocked.

Thank you all for helping me through this latest journey
love.gif

Connie

Back
Top Bottom