Oh No! We used the wrong staples. They are popping out all over.

Yikes! That is really scary. We do have predators here, I have seen foxes within a mile of our home, and there are lots of hawks, turkey vultures and an occasional bald eagle. I am sure there are skunks and raccoons and all that too, but on each side of us there are dogs, a neighbor owns the land behind us, and to one side, and his 4 dogs are on patrol day and night. I think it helps a bit to ward off critters, a little atleast. They also have 20 some odd chickens over there in a great big (HUGE!) dog run. It's pretty cool. The neighbor on the other side has dogs as well. We have 2, but they are geezers and only go from the house to the dog pen and back these days. Our run is getting that same style of wire over the top, and then the leftover steel roofing from our house over part of it as well (for snow protection). I really hope this will be OK for now. In a perfect world I would like to do the lower section with hardware cloth. Hopefully soon.

We finished re staple-nailing the wire
woot.gif
It is really good now. I am so happy! I hope it's nice tomorrow so we can add the top before other 1/2 leaves for work. I am also going to town for that magnet, I am dying to let the girls out to explore.

Glad you got it fixed before a predator found out! I used 1 1/2" crown staples that come with glue on them. As the air nailer fires them into the wood, the glue heats up and activates, and they are impossible to pull out. If I ever have to dismantle my coop, I will have to burn it down!

Glad you got it fixed before a predator found out! I used 1 1/2" crown staples that come with glue on them. As the air nailer fires them into the wood, the glue heats up and activates, and they are impossible to pull out. If I ever have to dismantle my coop, I will have to burn it down!
Exactly why I use screws!

If we decide to change our run we can just take the panels apart and add length, or width. It's made of 4 panels that screw together. We kind of had expansion in mind when we designed it. Stupid chicken math.

Edit~
Oh...I forgot to mention the magnet was GREAT! Found all this in and around the coop and in our yard. We had a new roof put the house last January, and our roofer dropped a few nails.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of screws. I used screws and 1-1/4" fender washers on mine,

I would bet that the 1-1/2" staples will do you pretty well. You may want to add a handful of screw/fender-washer sets on each panel (maybe one in each corner) just to make sure your run is solid.

They coyotes were howling last night and I felt pretty good about the girls being protected.
big_smile.png

ChickenPapaCT

If we decide to change our run we can just take the panels apart and add length, or width. It's made of 4 panels that screw together. We kind of had expansion in mind when we designed it. Stupid chicken math.

Edit~
Oh...I forgot to mention the magnet was GREAT! Found all this in and around the coop and in our yard. We had a new roof put the house last January, and our roofer dropped a few nails.

Very smart idea.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom