Oh, no. Weird butt thing..HELP!

suburbchick

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
One of my new barred rock bantams has like her anus sticking out. She tries to poop and nothing solid comes. But, her butt smells disgusting and there is like wetness around the area. I have never seen this before.....please help.

Sounds like a prolapse.
Get her somewhere away from other chickens, so they don't peck at it. Wash it off and then carefully push it back inside. If it stays out too long it could dry up. When we did this with our chicken she got better.
Don't feed her anything for the first day, so that she won't need to use the bathroom or lay eggs. This will prevent it from coming out again for a few days, while she heals. You might want to get her on antibiotics.

Best of luck!

I've never had one do it that young. If it had droppings stuck to it then that could have made her back end sore. If its just swollen then you can leave it alone and it should get better. Can you post a picture?

Are you sure the vent isn't just swollen from her being constipated? If you've been cleaning it, it could have been irritated and baby chick vent tissue is very delicate and swells easily from irritation.

You need to do something about the constipation because when she tries to go, it's usually very painful. Olive oil or mineral oil is good. Since baby chicks don't know that oil isn't water, they will slurp up a good dose by just placing it under their beak. One good slup, and it should be enough to get things going.

Use coconut oil on the swollen vent if you have it. It's both antibiotic and will heal it and soothe it. Or better, if you're in a state where you're fortunate to have it legal, cannabis salve smoothed onto the vent will take down the swelling, relieve her pain, and get it healing fast.

Back
Top Bottom