Oh you Silly, Broody Goose!!!! Aka..Henry, the female Irma Rescue Muscovy!!!

Maureen Shulenburg

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2017
OBrien Florida
Enter Silly Goose, as we thought we would call the self hatching egg, found by a hurricane Irma ravaged pond, back in Sept.
Well as days and weeks went on, being the uneducated duck rescuers we were, and after reading up on all things duck, we were pretty sure we were dealing with a sweet little male, it grew at an alarming rate, its feet were quite big for a little guy or so we thought, its colors became very brilliant, along with its totally not at all shy demeaner, and natural birds eye propensity to catch minnows and lizards and such with stealth accuracy and speed, surely we had a male!!!! looking back at how truly uneducated we were I stand here laughing at us, but in wonderment of the little bad..s we have! well in thinking we had a macho but gentle little male we changed his name to Henry. After reading about how cruel it could be to raise a duck alone, and knowing that we had already imprinted on this majestic creature { if cuddling it to sleep then gently putting him in his indoor box at night, and feeding him with the dogs and cat counts as imprinting} lol along with rides in the car to the store and even overnighters at the hotel with our fury clan while traveling!!! We decided before it got to hard on the little fella to seperate from us to get him a play mate. Well not gonna happen he said. turned its back....literally on not one but three duck mates. {{[also long funny story} anyway, all of a sudden it stopped growing. no carnuckles that shouted male, long story short we now have Henry the female muscovy. so we thought another baby female she can raise would be the best bet. Yep she loved it and raised it and now we have Frankie the humongous manly Drake. Henry has since been laying eggs about two months now, and this morning has decided to tell us she is going to have babies and just try to pry her quite buried eggs shes started to hide in the deep hole she created under the ramp to her box in her luxury penthouse suite. Oh you Silly Goose! Any suggestions on a nice inground pond Muscovy Habitat we have decided to dedicate our other acre of land to will be surly appreciated!!!!!!!!

Oh my gosh we need pics.. all my scovies and Runners and Buffs and geese have are kiddie pools so I am surely no help in your inground Muscovy Habitat lol

Sure do love that story though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom