Ohhh Noooo !!!

toomanydogs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 31, 2011
just found one of my broodys outside the chicken yard. Don't know how long she was out but I hope not long, I found her before the dogs did at least. How long can she stay off the nest and the eggs stay viable? I think she has been on them since the 2-4th but don't know for sure, she hide the nest and I found it last Wed. with 21 eggs in it. The temp. here today has been in the 90's

Lisa

In this sort of weather, broody hens can stay away from the eggs for extended periods without causing any problems in viability. If she is back on her nest, all should be fine.

Off topic - bet that I have more dogs than you.
roll.png

Last edited:
Yep, they're fine :) I think even in an incubator they can be out of it for about 30 minutes before the interior starts getting cold.

Last edited:
In this sort of weather, broody hens can stay away from the eggs for extended periods without causing any problems in viability. If she is back on her nest, all should be fine.

Off topic - bet that I have more dogs than you.
roll.png

hmmm lets see

1 German Shepherd
1 Doberman Pinscher
1 Lab x
1 Lab/Chow x
1Pointer x
1 Pomeranian x
1 Malamute/Akita x

that's 7 here ;). Most I ever had at one time was 16. 7 Chows, 6 Pekes, 2 Akitas and a Spitz/Border Collie

Lisa

yea the eggs are fine my hen seemed to never get off the nest at one point i put water right next to her and she seemed to drink forever.

Back
Top Bottom