Ohio Brooder

Sep 17, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello,

I'm planning on raising meat birds (Cornish Cross) this summer using an egg-mobile that has been repurposed to a brooder (it has brooded successfully in the past). Here is a video of the brooder

Brooder (13'x7'x5')

What wattage of red light should I put in the Ohio brooder? I have a 150W ceramic reptile heating element (and ceramic sockets for heat protection) but am unsure of what other light to use. I'm going to start testing out temperatures tomorrow with the brooder full of shavings, and all of the windows covered with reflective insulation foam.

My other question is what should I do at night time? I plan on covering the roof with a tarp, or putting cardboard ~4ft above half of the brooder space to retain heat.

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_20210325_171116.jpg
    IMG_20210325_171116.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20210326_200155.jpg
    IMG_20210326_200155.jpg
    320.6 KB · Views: 21
What are the dimensions of the ohio brooder?

Have you got a pic of the inside/underneath of it?

The ambient temp plays a big role of how much wattage the bulbs need as you've figured out. I haven't used ceramic bulbs so I can't speak of those.

Pine shavings on the top helps alot with holding in the heat. I got tire of dealing with the pine shavings and put a piece of foam insulation on top and then covered with another piece of plywood. I just let the birds poop on the plywood and cleaned later with a plastic putty knife. I also stapled some aluminum flashing underneath on top to prevent the wood from scorching (if that were to happen).

What I did was put a wireless outdoor thermometer on the inside skirt in the middle that hung down to almost the floor (so bascially it is reading the air escaping and not the air trapped) so that I could read the ambient temp and the inside temp. I then recorded those at different temperatures and how the chicks were reacting (hot or cold) for future reference.

I have since lost my figures so I can't reference back to see, but I used two 125w red heat lamp bulbs in mine and I'm thinking that got me down to around freezing without having to to board up anything but you need to check that and not take my word since the size can make a difference on how much heat it holds in too. You could step up to 250w bulbs which should have plenty of heat but they get alot hotter. I used a rotary dimmer (with my own markings 100%, 80%, 60%, 40%) to adjust the heat throughout the day as the ambient temp changed to save electricity and to keep things from getting too hot under the brooder.

I don't think covering or insulating your skylights and windows will make much of a difference in holding heat in from the ohio brooder box. Too much airspace in there.

What are the dimensions of the ohio brooder?
4'x3', I wanted some space between the walls and the bottom.
Have you got a pic of the inside/underneath of it?
1617068084104.png

I added insulation to all of the sides, and where the x is is where the bulb ended up going.
Pine shavings on the top helps alot with holding in the heat. I got tire of dealing with the pine shavings and put a piece of foam insulation on top and then covered with another piece of plywood. I just let the birds poop on the plywood and cleaned later with a plastic putty knife. I also stapled some aluminum flashing underneath on top to prevent the wood from scorching (if that were to happen).
I'm just doing one batch, so I guess it won't be too bad with the shavings.
I don't think covering or insulating your skylights and windows will make much of a difference in holding heat in from the ohio brooder box. Too much airspace in there.
I agree; it was originally meant to be a portable sheep milking trailer. When I build my own there will be a lot of things that I will do differently.

@jher77

CHICKS! A DAY EARLY!

Temps seem to be holding around 70-80 in the areas not heated, and 90-97 under the Ohio Brooder with an outdoor temp of 45-51; tomorrow is supposed to hit a low of 29.

I plan on giving them hard boiled eggs around 8pm so the 5-6 hour peak digestion coincides with the lowest temps.

I haven't done too much research on it, but do you have any experience with feed restriction? I've read after day 5 up until week 4 to start a 12/12 feeding program.

Temps seem to be holding around 70-80 in the areas not heated, and 90-97 under the Ohio Brooder with an outdoor temp of 45-51; tomorrow is supposed to hit a low of 29.
Sounds like you are in good shape with those temps but they will drop when the ambient temp in the building drops. How much I don't know. You could put up some side skirts. Just make sure that you don't block the chicks in.

I plan on giving them hard boiled eggs around 8pm so the 5-6 hour peak digestion coincides with the lowest temps.

I haven't done too much research on it, but do you have any experience with feed restriction? I've read after day 5 up until week 4 to start a 12/12 feeding program.
I give mine free choice starter/grower crumbles and water from the start. I don't give treats or eggs until they leave the brooder. I do give chick grit in case they eat bugs.

Back
Top Bottom