Upgrading brooder

KimbosKluckers

Songster
Mar 11, 2024
White Mountains of Arizona
My 6 chicks are 2 weeks old tomorrow but are outgrowing their plastic bin. They are using the perch but it’s so crowded now. I’m going to use the giant cardboard box that the coop came in today. Therefore, I want to get rid of the red heatlamp and use a ceramic reptile bulb, though it’s a lower wattage. I think this will also help with getting them used to darkness. It’s still too windy and cold here to give them playtime outside so I think acclimation will be hard. I’m a newbie by the way. Any tips or advice welcome. Thank you!!
~Kim
Here’s a picture of what they are in now (red light makes terrible pictures). There’s usually cardboard over the half with no light, but took it off for photo. Will post after photo later.

Attachments

• IMG_3106.jpeg
    IMG_3106.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3107.jpeg
    IMG_3107.jpeg
    294.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Oh my gosh, love the chick condo, it is so cute and perfect.
Careful with heat lamps and cardboard. I have never had any problems with heat lamps before in the past but there is a possible fire hazard. Your chickies are so cute, what a good idea. :love

Looks great! I think I see a thorn on the darker/smaller of the two roosts though.

as for acclimation to outside, even if I'm continuing heat outside I still try to find a few days at least, of milder weather so it's not as drastic a change. You bought yourself some time though, with the new condo. If you have to, it looks like you could expand your condo further, either with more cardboard, or by butting up a pet crate to it, if the weather doesn't cooperate with you.

Oh my gosh, love the chick condo, it is so cute and perfect.
Careful with heat lamps and cardboard. I have never had any problems with heat lamps before in the past but there is a possible fire hazard. Your chickies are so cute, what a good idea. :love
Thanks so much. I’ve changed the red lamp to a ceramic bulb now. It lays on top of wire and away from sides. I’m worrying much less now! Though they’re wondering where the light is. 😬
Looks great! I think I see a thorn on the darker/smaller of the two roosts though.

as for acclimation to outside, even if I'm continuing heat outside I still try to find a few days at least, of milder weather so it's not as drastic a change. You bought yourself some time though, with the new condo. If you have to, it looks like you could expand your condo further, either with more cardboard, or by butting up a pet crate to it, if the weather doesn't cooperate with you.
Thank you! The thorn is just a twig that I broke off there, doesn’t look too sharp but maybe I should cut it off further? Really hoping no expansion will be necessary as I’m running out of floor space in my shed 😂 We shall see.
Oh my gosh, what if you added little cardboard tunnels for them to go in! 😍
See the the coke box near the bottom? They love it!! I have hoarded a bunch of those and tissue boxes to change out often. ❤️

Last edited:
Thank you! The thorn is just a twig that I broke off there, doesn’t look too sharp but maybe I should cut it off further?
I definitely would flatten it. Imagine someone losing their balance, perhaps being shoved by another chick, and involuntarily landing on the sharp tip of that "twig" with the bottom of their foot. Bumblefoot in the making.

I definitely would flatten it. Imagine someone losing their balance, perhaps being shoved by another chick, and involuntarily landing on the sharp tip of that "twig" with the bottom of their foot. Bumblefoot in the making.
I’ll go cut it now! Thanks so much!! I need to read more about bumblefoot too!
Saw it right off. At first glance I thought it was a carton of 🚬
Still too young for that 😂😜

Back
Top Bottom